News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lords Wood, Chatham  (Read 28759 times)

Hollands

Re: Lords Wood, Chatham
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:05:45 »
Its been longer than I thought, since I last came on, but I am glad the map was of interest.

My son`s local history project went down a treat with the school, BTW. If any other local parents ever need an idea,

I also remember the old pre roundabout, Princes Avenue junction, but mostly because of the conker trees that used to be on the other side of the road.
Before they put the RAB in, people in Princes park had huge delays and tailbacks. I knew some people that were often late for work, as it was so unpredictable..

louisewomble

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 19:17:15 »
The map in the start of this thread shows my house.  My road was a road in which the show houses were - so we have a mixture of all the different types.  A friend of mine remembers her parents camping out overnight to buy the house across the road from me on the day it was released.  A couple 2 doors along did the same - and they still live here!

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 22:32:35 »
You're spot on, it is the junction with Walderslade Road. I think the picture dates from about 1970.  :)

davidt

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 22:26:43 »
Great pictures Spekes Bottom. I think the second one is the junction with the Walderslade Road. Am I right? The more I look at it, the more sure I am as I think the houses in the distance are in The Wirrals, off Sussex Drive. Can you tell me when the picture was taken?

Assuming I am right, I can remember the house on the corner had quite a large orchard and used to sell bags of apples when they were in season. The junction has changed a lot since the mini roundabout went in a few years ago.

silkenrobe

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 14:40:43 »
thank you speakes-bottom

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 12:20:13 »

Here's a couple of shots of Princes Avenue before Princes Park was developed.

silkenrobe

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 08:22:29 »
What great pics.

I looked at the site you linked for some pics of Princes Park but there aren't any. 
As a girl in my late teens I dated a guy from Weedswood ('82 - '84) and we used to walk to his sister's house via an alley way than ran down the side of Walderslade Boys (now known as Greenacre).  We could also get to Princes Park by walking across wasteland behind the, what was still called by locals, the Hook and Hatchet.  When did the pub change it's name to the Paocher's Pocket?

Joebap5

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 21:21:48 »
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome :)

Just remembered I found them here some time ago (keywords 'Lords Wood' and 'Walderslade') - http://www.medway.gov.uk/apps/medwayimages/

I find the whole of Kent fascinating, and particularly the Medway & Swale area. It's makes me feel empty inside when I see those photo's of the Walderslade area though.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 16:33:42 »
Welcome to the forum Joebap5

thanks for sharing those photos, have you anymore?

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 09:24:12 »
Welcome to the forum Joebap5, great pics . I lived in Married qtrs there in the 60s, still don't like Dargets hill  :) I remember all the houses being built at Lordswood while we lived there.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

jpdeejay

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:39:40 »
Hi joebap5,

WOW!!!!! Amazing pics, love them, thank you for taking the time to upload!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any more pics??

Kind regards

JP

erfman

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 00:21:40 »
hi joebap5 welcome to the forum. fantastic pics, where did you get those from, as i live in lordswood, i find them very interesting!  :) erfman

Joebap5

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 23:30:21 »
Hi all :) ... Im new here. I'm Joe and I'm from Bapchild near Sittingbourne. I hope these are exactly what you are looking for :)

Lordswood Chatham, 1972 approx. Land at Lordswood prior to its purchase by the GLC. Housing is just visible in the distance.

Building Land Lordswood Chatham, 1972 approx. Land for sale at North Dane Wood prior to its purchase by the GLC for housing development.

Lordswood Chatham, 1966 approx. Housing development at Lordswood. Recently built houses and bungalows for sale.

Lordswood Chatham, 1966 approx. Housing development at Lordswood.

Hook and Hatchet Walderslade Road Walderslade Chatham, 1901 approx. View of the Hook and Hatchet Public House after recent snowfall. Now called the Poacher's Pocket.

Walderslade from Robin Hood Hill, 1920 - 1930.

Walderslade Road Snodhurst, 1920 approx.

Walderslade Valley, 1920 approx.

Boxley Road Walderslade, 1920 approx. View of Boxley Road from Nab Hill.

Dargets Road Walderslade, 1960 approx. A group of children probably just leaving school on Darget's Hill. Notice the coal delivery lorry on its way up the hill.

IsaacDavid

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 21:01:12 »
I came across this forum while I was looking for some early photos of Lordswood, as I moved here in 1965 at the age of 6 and grew up here too. I say 'here', as I'm living in my mum's house again after all these years.

We may have some photos somewhere, but I have a reasonably good memory (still), so I may be able to provide tentative answers to questions about Lordswood from 1965 on which could be chased up using the relevant sources.

The builder responsible for developing Lordswood was James Miller & Partners Ltd, an Edinburgh based housebuilder. They are now known as Miller Homes.

I've found a reference to some documentation in the City Ark on Lordswood Housing Development, which includes a reference to James Miller's purchase of land for Stage 2 (from 1968 on): http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?SearchWords=Lordswood+Housing+Development+Stage&DateList=&CurrentPath=&PathList=&Browse=True&NewPath=Accessions&NewSelection=&Boolean=AND&Results=25&Mode=Search. You might find some interesting material in these files if you're able to view them.

There's a Wikipedia entry on Miller Homes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Homes, and their company site is here: http://www.millerhomes.co.uk/. Who knows, maybe they have archive material too.

jpdeejay

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 19:52:12 »
Hi Davidt,

Thanks for your response, I do indeed have the book on Walderslade, it is excellent and would strongly recommend it to any of you keen on local history.

Many thanks

JP

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines