News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Accident in Tunstall?  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Accident in Tunstall?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 22:06:37 »
I spoke to The Oracle a few minutes ago. He had this information to pass on.

'There were two main contractors in Sittingbourne, Gardeners' and Packhams'. I knew the Gardeners' quite well, very nice people who were devout Salvation Army members. They had a yard on Staplehurst Road, just south of the LCDR main line. If this engine has rubbers (rubber tyres on the wheels) then she is his lightweight Foster Showman's Engine. That was withdrawn in 1937 with a worn out fire box and offered to me for free when I bought Mr Gardeners' Burrell general purpose engine for 10 in 1948 or 9 (I can't remember which), a new fire box would have cost about 40 at the time but I just did not have that kind of money so had to let her go. However if she is on strakes then she is probably one of Packhams engines. They were all single cylinder Aveling that were bought as a job lot from Jesse Ellis in Maidstone. Jesse Ellis used them as "Night Soil" haulers and had bought them new from Aveling and Porter in the 1880's. Throughout the War both Packham and Gardeners had Land Army girls driving the engines all over the area, life had to go on. I do remember that the Girls kept all the engines absolutely immaculate, as did the German POW's that drove the Council Foden steam wagon. I doubt that it would have been a foreign engine from Maidstone, too far to go really, certainly not one from Faversham as that would be much too far to travel.'

Right, I must add that The Oracle is now in his 80's and as such I grab these gems whenever I can. Because of his affection for all things steam he noticed them and thankfully remembers them. I would just like to add that should anyone come up with a time machine, could you drop me off sometime around the end of the war please. I have a shopping list of traction engines, rollers and lorries I wish to buy (I got some Christmas money and could invest it very carefully.....).

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 15:26:20 »
It looks as if someone on here has picked up on the postcard as well .Might be worth following results.☺
http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=652fbf788d885b528643c9365c024471&f=28

Ah, that is me grandarog (different user name).  I am on the tractiontalk forum which is for road steam folks.  We think it is most likely an Aveling Steam Tractor - although nothing like mine!  Its pretty much patched up so probably quite old.
DTT

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:55:28 »
It looks as if someone on here has picked up on the postcard as well .Might be worth following results.☺
http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=652fbf788d885b528643c9365c024471&f=28

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 20:15:41 »
Anybody got any idea as to the make and model of engine involved? Was it a local engine? Is the owner`s name known? I can just about make the registration number as (I think) D397 and I think a 3 on the end.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 19:12:07 »
Thanks Grandarog, that saves me calling the Oracle. DTT; that is a good view of the ashpan (food for thought?).

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:50:42 »
Bit before the time you drove by, DaveTheTrain. You probably throttled right back coming down, as that is a nasty sharp bend with strange camber where the field track comes down to it. The lady in the picture was the cook at the old rectory (now called The Cedars), I have been racking my brains all morning trying to remember her name. She is standing just in front of the gateway by the wall. The building on the right is the back wall of the rectory stables. The village sign and Bill Chesson`s bench are just on the end of the building now. I believe the stables have been converted into accommodation now. I haven't been in the grounds to see for years.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:27 »
Thanks grandarog, that's really interesting.  I can't believe that I did not know about this accident, having taken a steam roller past that very spot.

Thanks again.
DTT

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:07 »
Yep, certainly is the Church Hill, Tunstall (looking down towards the corner and Hales House).The engine was coming down the slope from the field. My Mum and Dad did tell me who the  lady looking on was years ago but I have long forgotten her name.The engine was coming down the slope from the field (where the church car park is) and tried to turn up the hill. That is not a good manoeuvre due to the slope and the road gradient. You may remember on an older post I told how I tipped over a 4 wheel trailer loaded with bales doing the same thing in 1956. Luckily the tow bar bent and I didn't get chucked off the Fordson Standard tractor which stayed upright.
 The engine has been blocked up while awaiting recovery. I believe I was told they had to wait until next day for a crane to be brought from Chatham to right it. Probably when the photo was taken, as the children in the churchyard looking over the wall appear to be waiting for something to happen. There is an article in the East Kent Gazette archives about the incident which was major local news in those days.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:29:31 »
Certainly looks like Hales House to me !

I think Granderog may be able to` throw some light` on this one.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
Accident in Tunstall?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 22:44:44 »
This postcard has come up on ebay, great from a traction engine enthusiasts point of view.  The back of the card says in Tunstall, I used to live in Tunstall opposite the church and I am not so convinced. It does look like the cottages next to the school but where was the lane the accident was on.

Alternatively, it could be looking towards Hales House, and the church wall on the LHS.  In which case the building on the right must be part of Cedar House in some way. 

Any ideas?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-POSTCARD-TRACTION-ENGINE-ACCIDENT-FERRIS-REAL-PHOTO-SITTINGBOURNE-KENT-C1930-/351260325653?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item51c8bf3715 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-POSTCARD-TRACTION-ENGINE-ACCIDENT-FERRIS-REAL-PHOTO-SITTINGBOURNE-KENT-C1930-/351260325653?pt=UK_Collectables_Postcards_MJ&hash=item51c8bf3715

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines