News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Minster ROC Post  (Read 12349 times)

stillinthetrenches

Re: Minster ROC Post
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 11:38:54 »
My father in law served at the Minster post from 1941 to 1944 when he joined the RAF. The original post was on top of a mound of earth where the current site is.  He was the youngest of the ROC team and I think he's the only one still alive. He lived in Minster then and is now in Ramsgate. I've got more information but it's on another computer.

John

philspain

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 14:20:08 »
I've heard from a local source that it has a preservation order on it, but I can't find it listed on the Herityage Gateway site.

vanishing days

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:00:36 »
does anyone no who owns the post?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:14 »
We also found the very tip of a bomb while digging potatos next to the post. The broken off tip still had a pin and a bit of a flag or material attached, so it looked like it hadn't gone off but broken up when it hit the ground. I think it got thrown in the scrap bin.
That would have been a British bomb, dropped with the safety pin and fusing link still in place. To drop it 'live' the pilot/bombaimer would need to put the Arming Switch to ON, causing a solenoid to grip the end of the fusing link. Then when the bomb was released it would have stayed in the aircraft, thus pulling out the pin. Perhaps it was an accidental release, or an emergency to lighten the plane. The bombs wouldn't have been armed unless over enemy territory. For some reason 4000, 8000, & 12000 lb blockbusters didn't have this feature and could only be dropped 'live', which is why they were jettisoned before reaching the UK coast if not dropped over the target. There were designated areas for this, to avoid danger to shipping - hopefully!!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Monkton Malc

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 20:47:22 »
I still live in Minster and used to work on the farm who's land surrounds the post.

I remember from time to time there would be activity at the post with a metal tube or something bolted onto one of the things sticking out of the ground.

We also found the very tip of a bomb while digging potatos next to the post. The broken off tip still had a pin and a bit of a flag or material attached, so it looked like it hadn't gone off but broken up when it hit the ground. I think
 it got thrown in the scrap bin.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 21:21:21 »
Looks like it will miss the ROC post  :)

http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/cs/planapps/pdf/D%202%208018.pdf

and this is the other end:
http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/cs/planapps/pdf/D%202%205016.pdf

I'm guessing these plans are up to date.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 20:10:44 »
Will need to have a look at the plans but the new road they are laying out from Ebbsfleet to Minster (Thanet) looks like it is going to go straight over this site. Will see if I can dig out the plans and check.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 15:35:45 »
The Minster site although outside of the airfield site was on MOD Land as was the main road and the land from the prospect roundabout right along until thorne hill, when the MOD Sold the airfield in 1999 to a civil operator. The land to that side of the road was moved to the ministry of transport for a road widening scheme.[now started] When the runway was built in 1943/1944 crash exits were built at a right angle to the runway, aircraft makeing crash landings during this period were pushed of the runway via these exits across the road into the fields. the main was closed for this period.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 17:22:57 »
Wow, what a fascinating and quite scary sounding time you had in there.
Just as well the 'bang' never actually happened over here :o
Many thanks for sharing it with us all.

Nicholls of the Blean

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 15:57:24 »
We would only feel bitter if the ground zero was to far away from the post to fry us, otherwise it could be long and lingering!!!!!!!!.
The reason for bringing in the deposition trays was to enable the post to calculate 1. when radition had stopped falling 2.The amount fallen 3. The decay rate.
Now that probably sounds complicated so this is what happens, Radiation reduces by 7/10ths in time ie in 7 hours its 7/10ths of the original value so by using this rule you could work out how long it will take you to have your little bits fall off ,followed by your last gasp.
The proceedure is 7 hours after the "BANG" you opened the lid leaned out a grabbed 1 of 3 trays (this you carried out quickly as your fellow observers down in the hole would be shouting "Shut the B----Y door ",you then proceeded to climb back down the ladder (MOD could not afford to fit lifts) and at the bottom of the ladder you would go into a small room which was also your chemical toilet ,and place the tray in a rack ( it is a well known fact that all ROC personel would be constipated and had prostrate problems in time of war , would you go if you had to sit/stand next to that and expose your reproductive organ!!!),any way back to the tray , having got it down you would take a reading as to the amount of radiation given off ,and if your fellow observers would let you (after decontaminating yourself ) return to the main room and report your findings this would probably include the following visual observations such as you had seen a herd of cows with legs in the air ,the sky was red,blue and purple and weird smells.
now 7 hours later (if you were lucky, not you but another observer) would repeat the operation of bringing in another tray and taking readings of this tray and the first tray etc etc , and 7 hours after this, this would all be carried out again (this all pre supposes you are still alive ) by the way there were only 3 trays in total and the operation manual finished at this point , we therefore assumed we could now go home !!!!!. ).(

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 16:50:12 »
 o:)  So you wouldn't have felt bitter about it if it had happened then  ??? :D

The training sounds interesting!  I didn't realise you would have taken a tray full or it into the post, thought readings would have been done above ground  :'(

Nicholls of the Blean

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 16:13:44 »
Froze mainly,spent hours simulating nuclear war ,ie reporting bomb blasts and strengths by measuring peak over pressures,direction of blast using pin hole photography,height above ground of blast using pin hole photography , and then "wait for it" going outside in all the C--p falling out of the sky to retrive a tray loaded with the last hours c--p that had fallen ,and yes bringing it down into our relativley radiation free hole and taking measurments ,all this we reported to group HQ which had a bigger and deeper hole than we did ,they then collated this data which they recieved from all the other post's in the group .
They then reported to ROC HQ who lived in an even bigger and deeper hole were the bomb had gone off etc., they in turn sent this information to the politions who started it all in the first place who lived in the biggest and deepest hole in the UK in bomb and fire proof under wear ,who then proceeded to broadcast messages of regret to any survivors of the ROC and general population for pushing the flaming button in the first place . :'(

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 21:23:13 »
I would like to hear more about what you got up to whilst here  :)

Nicholls of the Blean

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 18:11:38 »
I served with the Royal Observer Corps for 3 years at this post ,its post name was "November 2 ", spent many 48 and 72 hour shut down exercises underground here ,temprature winter and and summer was 41 deg F never more never less.
I now live 1 mile from here. :-X :-X

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 17:31:59 »
Yes would be nice to see inside one. That one is not exactly next to a quiet road either  :o

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines