News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Sittingbourne Odeon reopens  (Read 2890 times)

Online filmer01

• Appreciation 9
Re: The Sittingbourne Odeon reopens
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:41:47 »
I also spent many happy hours in there. I still remember sitting at the back of the Circle watching the opening sequence of "The Italian Job" - where the Lambo Muira sweeps up through the mountains - only to get a sharp elbow in my ribs, and a hissed "stop driving it..." from the girlfriend. :)

In the 1960s there wasn't a lot of choice for under 18s and non-drivers, you shouldn't have been in the pubs (ahem.. me, constable?) and I could just make the last 26 bus at 10.10 from the station if I got a wiggle on - either that or beat it to the end of Crescent Street so the driver knew you were running - otherwise it was a long cold 4mile walk.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: The Sittingbourne Odeon reopens
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 23:59:10 »
The Kent on line link shows a picture of the cinema showing a film  A women rebels made in 1936

http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/55061/A-Woman-Rebels/overview

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
The Sittingbourne Odeon reopens
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 15:48:30 »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/cinema-reopens-six-years-after-29910/

Spent many happy hours in the Odeon. Opened in 1937 by Christopher Stone (BBC) and it is claimed that he was the UK`s first disc jockey. Somewhere in the family archive are two programmes of the opening, one signed by Christopher Stone, but have been unable to find them.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines