News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My part in Kent's history  (Read 6376 times)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Re: My part in Kent's history
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 10:05:58 »
While on holiday in 1964, we watched filming for 'Magnificent Men' at Dover. The sequences in the film were the Public announcement of the race on the beach. Also the German crashing into the sea.
mmitch.

Offline HK1900

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 09:20:04 »
The only time I see myself in history is if 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' is shown on TV.  I actually appeared in the far distant background for a split second as Gert Frobe dived into the water at Dover.

I remember working with someone who said she was on Dover beach during filming - I thought she said it was the opening scene and I have often looked for her when the film is on TV.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:35 »
The only time I see myself in history is if 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' is shown on TV.  I actually appeared in the far distant background for a split second as Gert Frobe dived into the water at Dover.
©2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 20:37:45 »
As this started with a picture in a book I suppose I had better come clean. As many of you know I once worked on the RH&DR, as did my Father, and I am no stranger to opening a book on railways and finding one or both of us peering back from a footplate. The first time I was a bit spooked but soon got used to it.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 15:58:11 »
I well remember, all schools were told that the Metric System would enable us to leap at least two years ahead with our Maths etc teaching/ learning as this new system of 10's was better than our old £.s.d and lbs and ounces.
But no one could answer the question "Then why aren't the French children two years ahead of us? ".!!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:27:10 »
 :) :) So Alan if it was left as just pence and you were charged 2 pence for something and paid with a sixpence would you 4 pence change  :) :) ( you'll understand it but it will mess a few young ones up )  :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:26:44 »
I remember well the confusion amongst the public when we changed over to a decimal based coinage. Being a cab driver at the time the confusion could be quite accidentally lucrative...... :)
It actually made it easier for furreners to calculate change rather than there being 240 pence to the pound......especially Yanks who were confused about most things British anyway. :)
I used to really dislike the term "new pence" for some reason...I couldn't see the point of calling it that at all. A penny was a penny and that was it, whether it be 1/240 part of a quid or 1/100th!
AlanH.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 14:06:27 »
I almost made it twice, once when we had taken a school party to Brighton, and on arriving at the top of Devils Dyke we were in the middle of the film  "Oh ! what a lovely  war " and we were caught up in the middle of it . Sadly they cut us out in the final film.

I too was almost in the film at Devils Dyke,I was on my Duke of Edinburgh's silver award 50 mile hike when we saw a fairground set up on top of the Dyke.We ran towards it and were soundly cursed for our efforts,I watched the film but my dramatic entrance had obviously been left on the cutting room floor :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 13:16:30 »
mad4amanda, the florin or 2 bob bit was the one worth 10 new pence. The florin or 2 bob/shillings was written as 2/- and whilst in Dubai I noticed things priced up this way. 5/- would cost 5 UAE Dirhams.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:51 »
Being born in 1967 I have no memory of £sd but can remember that for any years two of the old coins were used as the equivalent of 5 and 10 new pence. Was it the curiously absent florin or the half crown that was used as 10p?
 I know the shilling as the 5p and they were used until the smaller coinage was introduced relatively recently. I loved the old coins and would swap with family members to get the oldest I could and then found it a good investment as, due to the silver content, any really old ones (pre 1948?) were exchanged for 10 x face value at a jewellers in Chatham High Street.
 I still have a rather large collection of old silver 3d coins which started one Christmas as my mum used to put them in the pudding!

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:42 »
For some unknown reason the old 2 bob bit (florin) doesn't seem to appear in any of the carded collections of pre decimal coinage.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:08 »
grandarog,   what happened to the Florin (2/-)  :)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 21:24:50 »
Good photo of the old coinage grandarog. Anybody much under 50 would not remember using them now.

I always liked the old 3d coin and its nice to know that in 2017 the pound coin will look vary similar. Does anyone remember that its nickname was a "joey"? I also remember using a mechanical "one arm bandit" that took 3d pieces rather than the more usual penny in the slot machines.

Alec.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 18:18:40 »
I almost made it twice, once when we had taken a school party to Brighton, and on arriving at the top of Devils Dyke we were in the middle of the film  "Oh ! what a lovely  war " and we were caught up in the middle of it . Sadly they cut us out in the final film.
We were also part of the crowd scene on a Spanish Island when the BBC were filming a religious meeting / sing song on the beach, to be broadcast later, at the appropriate spot I coughed rather loudly but when we heard the music later my cough was edited out.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 17:00:36 »
 Welcome to the Forum. Invicta Alec.
 I  certainly felt I was part of history a few years ago .We were visiting Hartlepool Quay Heritage site.
There was a class of schoolchildren re-enacting Victorian life etc in an old fashioned class room. On the far wall was a glass case of coins Headed "Old Money". Having crossed over the room expecting to see groats and Guineas etc. imagine how old I felt to see it only contained pre decimal 1971 LSD coins of most of us, on the forums lifes usage  era. :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines