News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canterbury Technical Institute  (Read 2450 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Canterbury Technical Institute
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 20:59:21 »
I think the Boys Tech moved to the new Chaucer Tech in Spring Lane - now derelict .  Not sure if this is the same school continued from the one in Longport though.

Offline George Molash

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 20:32:02 »
Is this the same as Canterbury Technical School? I went from Chilham Primary to Chartham Secondary, then for my last three years of schooling (until 16 years or so old) to Canterbury Technical School for Boys. The headmaster was Mr Parrot. Our school blazer badge was a gold coloured Canterbury Cross. I was there from 1954.

Offline amylouisewalker16

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:18:11 »
Now called Barton Court, it is a Grammar School. On their school website, they have some history:
Barton Court Grammar School is one of the few co-educational Grammar Schools in the country and is situated around an ancient lake in beautiful walled grounds on the edge of Canterbury. The school is within 5 minutes walking distance from the city centre.

There are just under 850 students on roll, including a Sixth Form of over 200 with our Pupil Admissions Number (PAN) of 120 in years 7 -11; four form entry of 30 students within each.

Barton Court Grammar School lies close to the old city walls in the conservation area and World Heritage Site of St. Augustine's Abbey. It was the farm of the Abbey from its foundation in 605 AD ('Barton' stemming from 'bere tun' or 'barley enclosure'). The school is built around the lake in which the monks of the Abbey farmed fish. When Henry VIII destroyed the Abbey, he gave the farm to one of his faithful. Its lake remains and is a haven for wildlife, still teeming with fish despite visiting herons.

GingkoTree

The gardens and grounds of the school contain many fine old trees, including the sixth Ginkgo to be introduced into the country from China (the first five were planted in Kew Gardens). Ginkgos are single-sexed, so Barton Court students grafted on a branch from another tree so now it produces fruit. The Science/Maths/English teaching block was designed around it.

Barton Court was still a farm until early in the 20th Century, approached up a long drive from New Dover Road. Much of its land then went to make way for housing and college developments. The manor house was pressed into use for teaching purposes during the Second World War, and in 1945 it became the Girls’ Technical School, with the boys being taught in the city hospital building nearby. The School became fully co-educational in 1991.

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
Canterbury Technical Institute
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 13:56:49 »
I am interested in any information regarding the school located in the old Canterbury Hospital in Longport Street, which yours truly attended between 1943/6.  I remember walking to the Kings School playing field along Sturry Rd, also walking to a sports ground at the top of St Martins Hill which must have been adjacent to the military camp.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines