News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Military Burial Ground  (Read 2181 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Military Burial Ground
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:49:35 »
From what I can gather it was the Garrison Burial Ground for all ranks who died in Chatham. The numbers buried here must have been huge. I have studied death records, regimental records and contemporary newspaper reports and some regiments had an astounding death rate whilst in Chatham Barracks or under canvas on the Lines. Many years ago I heard from an old Chatham Councillor that when Chatham Borough Council purchased the burial ground from the War Department and commenced work to level the site for a car park they discovered hundreds of burials which were scooped up and transferred to common burial pits at Chatham cemetery.

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
Re: Military Burial Ground
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:28:00 »
Judging from an old map I've seen, the old burial ground under the Lines was marked as "Officers' Burial Ground", and is now the car park at the top of Whiffens' Avenue.

I think the remains may have been moved to the Fort Pitt cemetery, but I'm not sure.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Military Burial Ground
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:39 »
Taken from the West Kent Guardian - Saturday 8 September 1855.
New Military Burial Ground - In consequence of the military burial ground beneath Chatham Lines having become filled, the Board of Ordnance have issued directions that all burials are to be discontinued therein from the present time, and they have accordingly entirely ceased. The graveyard has been levelled and sown with grass, stones being placed to indicate the situation of the bodies. After a lapse of years it is intended to re-open it for burials. Another large and in every way suitable burial ground has been ordered to be made by the Board of Ordnance. It is conveniently situated at the rear of Fort Pitt, and comprises three acres of land. The whole has been fenced in and tastefully laid out and planted with trees. A suitable building has also been erected for accommodation in wet weather.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines