News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "Where can this bus be"?  (Read 5632 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Another "Where can this bus be"?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 17:42:45 »
It becomes even stranger when one considers that this was a lowbridge bus.  This batch of Weymann-bodied TD4 Titans were sold out of service in about 1950/51, although some Beadle-bodied examples were rebodied just after the war (Beadle again) and lasted until about 1958.  The same style of Weymann bodies appeared on Bristol GO5G chassis in 1936 but were transferred on to new K5G chassis in 1938; these lasted until about 1955.  Equivalent highbridge Weymann bodies were supplied to the subsidiary Chatham and District fleet in 1936, again on GO5G chassis later transferring to K5G.

Later in the 1950s, Borough Green (BG) had four lowbridge buses for the no. 9 and one highbridge for the 122.  The rest of the allocation was single deck.  Apparently a lowbridge would sometimes deputise for the highbridge on the 122.  As the bus in the picture has "BG" clearly shown on the back, I suspect that this is what has happened here.  I am wondering if, at the time of the photo, there may have been inter-working of vehicles between the 122 and the 18.  I wonder, too, if the photo could be somewhere in Brighton, in which case the Weymann-bodied decker peeping over the wall could be an AEC Regent of Brighton Corporation.

I should like, if I may, to raise a further query, and that is as to whether BG at any time had more than the one highbridge decker and, if so, whether that could have appeared in Sevenoaks as a short working on the no. 9 between Sevenoaks and Borough Green (the through workings had to be lowbridge because of the low bridges at Platt and West Malling).  I have one of those nagging memories from my toddler years of seeing what must have been a Short-bodied TD4 heading along the Seal Road in Sevenoaks in the Borough Green direction. I suspect that this must have been a no. 9 short working.

Incidentally, the road was later lowered under the bridge at Platt although closure in the 1960s of Offham level crossing caused the route to be altered, involving yet another low bridge in Seven Mile Lane. 

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 13:21:31 »
Can one ask in what way the image was edited, eg. something appears to be just out of shot on the pavement to the bottom left? 

To the offside another kerb seems to be visible in the bodywork reflections.  Beyond is a structure with multiple storeys, apex roof and chimney, in front of which appears to be a lorry facing the camera.  Reflections in the bottom deck window suggest a structure behind the camera with a chimney and multiple pots.  On the nearside is a brick wall with decorative apertures enclosing a bus yard, followed by a structure with apex roof and apertures.

When I was a lad intent on avoiding playing rugby, the local bus garage paint shops were a welcome alternative.  Blinds were finest quality linen, spray-painted black by hand - a nasty, smelly, slow business.  Blinds generally were depot-based, but also had to take some account of route changes and transfers between vehicles having the same window width and depth.  Vehicles were also transferred between depots.  In short, it was not unknown for extra details to be prepared and stitched-into existing blinds and, equally, details to become "redundant" and left in the blind.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:55:38 »
Thanks. That is Stuart Road, and I’m sure the bus was not parked there. Stuart Road runs north-south and the shadows are the wrong way, also the wall does not ‘fit’.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:13 »
The Gravesend garage was immediately behind the offices. I think that the entrance was in the side road to the right as you face the offices.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:51:37 »
There was a Gravesend to Brighton service – No 122 – operated jointly by M&D and Southdown and which ran via Borough Green, but I don’t recognise the location as Gravesend Overcliff either.

The terminus for all M&D Gravesend services was the company’s offices, which were where Iceland is now, and buses turned by going ‘round the block’ from Darnley Road into St James’ Street and St James’ Road and into Overcliffe, and there was no high wall that another bus could stand behind.

However, I can’t remember where the Gravesend garage was.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:31:15 »
I don't recognise that road as the Overcliffe at Gravesend. There was a M&D bus garage there but they were parked round the back.There appears to be another road (or car park) above it.  It reminds me of the sea front at Brighton?
mmitch.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:40:27 »
Thank you PC. It has been suggested elsewhere that the photo was taken on the Overcliff Gravesend. Certainly a BG vehicle would be "at home" there, but Ser 18?? That blind should not be in a BG bus at all!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:37 »
In both Winter 1951/52 and Summer 1957 timetables Service 18 was jointly operated by M&D and Southdown between Hawkhurst and Brighton, and did not pass through Borough Green.

However, included in the Service 18 timetable there are buses between Hawkhurst  and Gillingham, Goudhurst, Rye and Ashford, without their service numbers shown, but evidently connecting services. For example, the 10:16am from Gillingham arrives at Hawkhurst at 12:09 and a bus is then shown departing Hawkhurst for Brighton at 12:26. But the Service 5 timetable – Gillingham to Hastings - shows the 10:16 departure from Gillingham as a journey on that service. Presumably examination of timetables from the other places listed would show the same thing.

So that photo would have been taken somewhere along the route Hawkhurst-Heathfield-Lewes-Brighton.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Another "Where can this bus be"?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:37:36 »
Another one to test KHF, although again I cannot be sure we are in Kent, but who knows?
CKO 996 was a Borough Green vehicle and should not therefore have been on service 18 which ran from Gillingham to Brighton. But where was the photo taken? The roof of a similar bus can be seen poking over the top of the wall on the left. Any ideas anyone?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines