News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another "Where can this bus be"?  (Read 4745 times)

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
Re: Another "Where can this bus be"?
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 17:25:58 »
I wonder if MIKEB should forward this whole correspondence (including photograph) to the editor of "Buses" magazine for consideration for a future "Vintage Fenton File" feature.  Maybe some kind person would then come up with more information!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 20:45:40 »
It's delightfully infuriating and one can't help but feel that the answer's going to be obvious - once you know it!

Just a thought Mikeb, where did you get the image from? I don't particularly mean who took it or who collected it, but rather that I wonder what images were either side of it on the roll.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 18:50:06 »
No JohnH, Good thought but I have checked there with no luck.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 17:44:16 »
Just a thought - although The M&D and East Kent Bus Club has not replied to me, I wonder if this photo is one of their collection, in which case the originator of this item should consider trying that organisation

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 18:08:46 »
JohnH, and indeed all those who searched, many thanks. I guess we will never know exactly where CKO 996 was resting, or why! Thanks again, but I do find out eventually, I'll post the answer in Guess Where!

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 17:30:21 »
Just for the record, in addition to Dick Gilbert I also contacted Ian Smith (he of Ian's Bus Stop website fame) as well as The Leyland Society, The M&D and East Kent Bus Club, the Southdown Enthusiasts' Club (because this M&D vehicle is on a joint route with Southdown), The PSV Circle and The Omnibus Society.  Apart from David Barton of The Leyland Society (who said that they had no information), none of the others replied.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 17:30:20 »
Dick Gilbert (he of Classic Buses website fame) points out that this bus was retired in 1951 so the photo probably dates from 1950 or before.  Apparently the M&D depot on Sandhurst Road in Hawkhurst was opened only in 1950 and the previous depot was on Winchester Road with an upper-level yard for 3 vehicles entered from the road and a lower-level yard for 4 vehicles entered from the rear.  Dick wonders if this photo could have been taken at the Winchester Road site.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 17:59:45 »
Yes, that must be possible. If the loan was for a long period, say more than a week, then a Hawkhurst  (or any other depot who borrowed it) would have fitted their own blinds. Whoever had it on loan, it was only temporary, as the BG disc is still fitted. These were only changed on permanent transfer.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 16:46:28 »
Another idea!

Could Hawkhurst depot (HK) have borrowed this bus from BG for the 97, in which case could they then have put it out on the 18 in place of a failed vehicle?  That at least would explain the correct blinds.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 17:33:49 »
I have just thought of a number of possible sources of information.  However, I think they would be more likely to reply to someone on behalf of Kent History Forum than to a private individual.

1. Dick Gilbert (he of "Classic Buses" website fame)
2. Ian Smith (he of "Ian's Bus Stop" website fame)
3. The M & D and East Kent Bus Club (possible contact Nicholas King)
4. The Southdown Enthusiasts' Club (since the 18 was one of a number of routes run jointly by M&D and Southdown)
5. The Leyland Society (contact Mike Sutcliffe)
6. The PSV Circle
7. The Omnibus Society

Hopefully one or more of these will post something on this site and hopefully resolve this query!

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 18:56:47 »
Looks to me a bit like Tunbridge Wells, but I haven't found the road yet. Still looking
redge

KeithJG

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 16:46:14 »
I am now on the search also.

Living in Duncan Road Gillingham and both my parents worked for M&D in the 40`s and 50`s my hobby was collecting bus numbers and so i have dug out my old Ian Allan books dated from 1948.

They maybe a tad early as I am having trouble finding the reg. number.

It is obvious that this bus is in service as the destination roller says it`s route but route 18 was from Hawkhurst - Heathfield - Brighton and nothing to do with too far North BG. Although from that garage the route destination would not show what it does it would say "Relief".

Just found the details of the bus.

Just noticed it is two years ago almost to the day :)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 20:59:39 »
It is always surprising when a long dead topic re-surfaces! A year almost to the day!
Thanks to all who responded, but I still do not know the location of this photo. I now tend to think it was in Sussex / Brighton.
Certainly buses could be borrowed, loaned or even purloined in times of need, I've done it myself many times. This particular "loan" , if it was a loan, was long enough for the bus to be fitted out with correct blinds.
Before ser. 122 was split at T.Wells, T.Wells, Borough Green and Gravesend all had a share of the working, but I understood only T.Wells & Gravesend buses worked through to Brighton. I am not aware of any interworking between 122 & 18, but yes possible.
Ser. 18 was operated I believe by Gillingham, T. Wells and Southdown.
A thought, could there have been a temporary diversion on 18 which sent it under a low bridge and therefore low height buses were drafted in?
JohnH, your mystery TD4 could have been a replacement for a failed lowbridge at B. Green? to be replaced on the return working. I am surprised that B.Green had any normal height deckers at all, in my time all deckers were low, to give maximum flexibility.

Offline JohnH

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 17:42:45 »
It becomes even stranger when one considers that this was a lowbridge bus.  This batch of Weymann-bodied TD4 Titans were sold out of service in about 1950/51, although some Beadle-bodied examples were rebodied just after the war (Beadle again) and lasted until about 1958.  The same style of Weymann bodies appeared on Bristol GO5G chassis in 1936 but were transferred on to new K5G chassis in 1938; these lasted until about 1955.  Equivalent highbridge Weymann bodies were supplied to the subsidiary Chatham and District fleet in 1936, again on GO5G chassis later transferring to K5G.

Later in the 1950s, Borough Green (BG) had four lowbridge buses for the no. 9 and one highbridge for the 122.  The rest of the allocation was single deck.  Apparently a lowbridge would sometimes deputise for the highbridge on the 122.  As the bus in the picture has "BG" clearly shown on the back, I suspect that this is what has happened here.  I am wondering if, at the time of the photo, there may have been inter-working of vehicles between the 122 and the 18.  I wonder, too, if the photo could be somewhere in Brighton, in which case the Weymann-bodied decker peeping over the wall could be an AEC Regent of Brighton Corporation.

I should like, if I may, to raise a further query, and that is as to whether BG at any time had more than the one highbridge decker and, if so, whether that could have appeared in Sevenoaks as a short working on the no. 9 between Sevenoaks and Borough Green (the through workings had to be lowbridge because of the low bridges at Platt and West Malling).  I have one of those nagging memories from my toddler years of seeing what must have been a Short-bodied TD4 heading along the Seal Road in Sevenoaks in the Borough Green direction. I suspect that this must have been a no. 9 short working.

Incidentally, the road was later lowered under the bridge at Platt although closure in the 1960s of Offham level crossing caused the route to be altered, involving yet another low bridge in Seven Mile Lane. 

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 13:21:31 »
Can one ask in what way the image was edited, eg. something appears to be just out of shot on the pavement to the bottom left? 

To the offside another kerb seems to be visible in the bodywork reflections.  Beyond is a structure with multiple storeys, apex roof and chimney, in front of which appears to be a lorry facing the camera.  Reflections in the bottom deck window suggest a structure behind the camera with a chimney and multiple pots.  On the nearside is a brick wall with decorative apertures enclosing a bus yard, followed by a structure with apex roof and apertures.

When I was a lad intent on avoiding playing rugby, the local bus garage paint shops were a welcome alternative.  Blinds were finest quality linen, spray-painted black by hand - a nasty, smelly, slow business.  Blinds generally were depot-based, but also had to take some account of route changes and transfers between vehicles having the same window width and depth.  Vehicles were also transferred between depots.  In short, it was not unknown for extra details to be prepared and stitched-into existing blinds and, equally, details to become "redundant" and left in the blind.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines