News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canterbury Underground Brigade HQ  (Read 3810 times)

seafordpete

Re: Canterbury Underground Brigade HQ
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:16:39 »

Do you know if both Tonbridge and Canterbury were intended as Monty's HQs in case of invasion? I

Apparently Monty stayed in a house nearby during construction but the site was never fitted out. Plenty on the Sub Brit site about it. I believe the council have sealed it now. It is Tun Wells not Tonbridge. It was dug by 172 at the same time as HMS Forward at Newhaven.
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-si
tes/sites/t/tunbridge_wells_broadwater_down/index.shtml

Offline alysloper

• Appreciation 7
Re: Canterbury Underground Brigade HQ
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:30:04 »
I have actually been down the Canterbury one once already as it is in the garden of a neighbour of a friend - air is poor in there and we had no proper gear, so it got a bit stuffy, to say the least!  Much of it has collapsed, as evidenced by a dip in their garden. Apparently, the house was requisitioned in both WW1 and WW2?

Do you know if both Tonbridge and Canterbury were intended as Monty's HQs in case of invasion? I assumed that all anti-invasion precautions were built in Spring/Summer of 1940 - and that C-inC Home forces at that time was Ironside/Brooke?

I'm hoping to visit tomorrow, though not to go underground. They have some bottles, etc and a helmet which were recovered - I'll try and get a picture.
thanks
Ian  

ali23

Canterbury Underground Brigade HQ
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 22:05:55 »
Not many pics but here they are anyway..

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines