News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When events spiral out of control  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Re: When events spiral out of control
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 21:45:13 »
Mickleburgh, your mother sounds a bit like me. If I have a mishap I don`t do things by half unfortunately. Not on such a large scale but I was playing hide and seek with my son, when he was 4, behind the pillars that once used to be in the Pentagon. He ran into a lady with a supermarket trolley which hit his head and left a deep cut, she offered him some sweets to calm him down and he pushed the trolley over her foot causing her to scream in pain. I took my son to the lift in a hurry as he had blood pouring everywhere and was on my way to the bus to take him to hospital, the lift door shut on my arm quite badly. As I got out, I ran holding my son, to the bus stop, knocked a young teenager into the railings and by the time I got to hospital and my son had his stitches, I had to have my arm seen too and put in a sling.

***I am still the child within***

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 16:44:12 »
I must admit to having a chuckle or two. :) 
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 15:47:11 »

Whilst my mother would (often!) exaggerate events on occasion, I was able to subsequently verify this account when arriving back home and making a point of putting that old shopping basket out for the dustmen. It was hearing of the death of probably one of the last persons around who would have remembered the incident a few months ago that determined me that it really deserved the telling.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 18:46:13 »
Me too Bilgerat, although obviously not funny, it has cheered me up today  :) Thanks Mickleburgh .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 15:46:20 »
I laughed myself silly reading this. You sure you didn't lift it from the script of a 'Carry On' movie? :)
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
When events spiral out of control
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 15:11:15 »
My late mother was involved in many escapades in her eighty-eight years but the occasion when she brought the town to a standstill in total mayhem lingered long in the memories. It was all caused by the very old-fashioned shopping-basket-on-wheels that she insisted on using, a diabolical four wheeled steel frame thing with a fraying wicker basket thereon. Traversing the kerb in the High Street one morning she went base over apex and badly gashed her leg.

The sequence of events thereafter are difficult to piece together in any order but, as a crowd gathered to render assistance, it is known that a bank employee, trying to bring out a chair for her to sit on, fell over the step and, in a nearby butchers, a finger top was chopped off due to the distraction. It was most probably started when a woman on a bicycle, craning to see what was going on, fell off in the path of an EK bus that had to brake sharply at a time when it had passengers standing ready for the next stop, this causing several injuries. Two cars some distance back in the gathering traffic collided. Perhaps it is suffice to say that as a fleet of ambulances were summoned to remove the casualties, the police had had to send for reinforcements and before the `All Clear` was sounded the K&C was close to declaring a major incident.

Mother, of course, was blissfully unaware of all this as, still in a state of shock, she was taken away to the hospital, had quite few stitches in her leg, was bandaged and sent home. She did recall that the A&E department seemed very busy.

Next morning, when she stepped outside, the first person she saw was a neighbour with his arm in a sling and, naturally, asked “What happened to you?” to which the reply “You’re a fine one to ask” at first mystified. Appraised of the full story she dissolved into hysterics, partially burst her stitches and had to call the Doctor!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines