News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A New HMS Medway  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 242
Re: A New HMS Medway
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 19:59:19 »
A short video clip showing the naming ceremony for the new HMS Medway. The ceremony was performed by Lady Fallon, wife of the then Defence Secretary:

https://youtu.be/V-sU_4wk320
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 242
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 17:52:04 »
What you have to remember is that these are not front-line warships, they are intended more for a policing role more than to influence events on a strategic level. Their main weapon system is actually their helicopter, which can carry a vast array of weapons. They have however (and rightly so), been criticised for their lack of a hangar for the helicopter, meaning that it can't be carried long term. At nearly 300ft long and around the 2,000 ton mark, these are not small ships, though they're under half the size of a Type 23 Frigate.

That stated, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a 30mm cannon firing coke-bottle sized rounds. They are ideal for the kind of role the Royal Navy wastes much larger ships, such as Destroyers or Frigates on, such as anti-piracy patrols off the East African coast. I mean, why send a 1bn Destroyer with missiles which can take down aircraft 100 miles away to take out pirates operating from speedboats? These new ships are far better suited to that role, leaving the Destroyers and Frigates free to do what they're designed to do.

That stated, it's fair to say that governments of all political colours have been stitching up our armed forces and the Royal Navy in particular for decades now.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13:53 »
Although good to see the name 'Medway' back in the fleet, this vessel at only 90m, armed with a pop-gun and with a crew of just 30 is little more than a glorified War Canoe. I really hope that the name 'Chatham' will be resurrected when the Type 26 vessels start to enter service.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 242
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 17:58:06 »
Taking shape nicely at Govan, as of August 2016:

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 19:33:00 »
Am I missing something, I read that the first is HMS Forth, the second is HMS Medway, and the third will be HMS Trent.  However, what do I know about 'saily things', I was in the RAF.

Robin.

Yes they are Robin, but of Batch 2, so Forth is fifth in class of the River  Class.   

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 17:53:14 »
Am I missing something, I read that the first is HMS Forth, the second is HMS Medway, and the third will be HMS Trent.  However, what do I know about 'saily things', I was in the RAF.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 21:52:34 »
Perhaps it is my sense of humour, but I noticed that the fifth in class built, was named the HMS Forth.  I would imagine the Two Ronnies having some fun with that.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 242
A New HMS Medway
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 20:27:30 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines