News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Castle  (Read 50387 times)

medwayboy

Re: Rochester Castle
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:09 »
I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies then that it didn't happen... or someone might have pulled it down or turned it into flats,

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:21 »
In the period of 1779/80 when Debbieg was working on the Chatham defences there was a plan to purchase Rochester Castle and turn it into a fortified barracks. There is one mention about this that I have found in the RE Letter Books in which Debbieg writes to the BO Solicitor Lough Carlton on 9 May 1780 in which he states "Mr Child has agreed to sell Rochester Castle to the Crown". This was one plan that did not proceed.

medwayboy

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2013, 08:58:48 »
I agree.. a great picture, must be a good lens. Was the castle ever used as a fortified place? in the last 200 years that is...

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2013, 08:16:11 »
Great photo :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2013, 01:29:32 »
Rochester Castle & Cathedral viewed from Fort Amherst.

=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2013, 08:07:06 »
Sadly I remember this incident quite well (I think). I believe that it was a lad called Chalky White who was a friend of my brother in law. As I recall the incident, he was walking across the "chicken wire" which closed the open top of the Castle to birds. 

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2013, 16:23:17 »
... I remember having to pay 3d to get in at the little door in the bottom of the large fore building, you had to cross over a deep pit and we used to think this was the dungeon, of course I know better now what a donjon is and was, it was a steady climb to the top but the views were spectacular,....

Yes I remember the little door at the bottom that you went in through, and the deep pit.  I never got fed up of going in there and up to the top when I was a child.  Later, as a teenager (back in the risque early 1960's) it used to be somewhere to meet up with boys on a Sunday afternoon.

Talking about roofing it over, I seem to recall that sometime in the late 60's or early 70's a young man fell from the top, I think he was climbing along the wall. The surname Black seems to come to my mind.

medwayboy

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:10 »
I always loved this castle, it was a long walk from Luton but worth it. I remember having to pay 3d to get in at the little door in the bottom of the large fore building, you had to cross over a deep pit and we used to think this was the dungeon, of course I know better now what a donjon is and was. It was a steady climb to the top but the views were spectacular, I have never been able to understand why it was never roofed over and floors put back in: (a) it would better preserve what is there and (b) you would get a better understanding of how the castle worked, a better use of lottery funding could not be found.

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2013, 19:30:30 »
I have fond memories of looking over the wall towards the Bridge where those cannons are.  Waiting for my then girlfriend to cross the bridge to meet me. I was 15 at the time. She was my first love.

Whenever my wife and I are in the castle gardens, she always says, " Lets look at the view before we go home". I told her about them times long, long ago. She just smiles when we leave, knowing I was, for just a brief moment, 15 again. Waiting for his first love to cross the bridge.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2013, 19:27:26 »
Thanks Medwayboy. :)
I think the exact spot on the wall was at the peak of the bulge in the 2nd photo.
Yesterday we celebrated our 61st anniversary.

medwayboy

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2013, 18:28:16 »
And this one... don't know why it didn't appear with the one below.

medwayboy

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2013, 18:26:11 »
A couple of memories here for you peterchall & wife, I took them with a little browney camera back in the late 50s.
Ken

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 21:38:11 »
I was sitting on the wall near the cannon at the top of steps leading up from the Esplanade with a mate one evening in August 1946 - I don't know the exact date - when two girls came in from the Castle Hill entrance and walked along the path towards us. My mate said "I know that girl" and they spoke to each other; her friend and I were introduced and she is is now sitting in the room with me as I write this. So those gardens are a very special place to me.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 20:32:47 »
numanfan, what brilliant pictures! Makes me miss the days when I used to walk down there.
***I am still the child within***

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 20:23:14 »
I think that there is a mulberry bush is in the cathedral gardens, near the cloisters.  Its fruit is what silk worms live on.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines