News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Castle  (Read 50328 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
Re: Rochester Castle
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2017, 20:54:47 »
Dave Smith. as you have opened this topic again, can I sneak in a question ref Rochester castle?
About 1947/1950 I was nine years old, I was attending St Margaret`s Primary School, just up the road from the castle. Our head master, Mr. Berry took us down to the old moat area where, just outside the entrance to Satis house buildings in the old moat, some houses had been demolished and an archaeological dig was in progress. We were told it was looking for traces of a tunnel or earth work involved with the breaching of the keep during the siege by King John. Never did hear anything more about it. Anyone satisfy my curiosity?

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2017, 13:32:41 »
Flag mast a bit shorter but otherwise doesn't seem to have changed much!

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2017, 21:14:34 »
Photo of Rochester Castle Image copied from an Ilford ISO chromatic Glass Plate and has been Photoshopped. Date unknown but looking at the clothing, possibly Victorian.??
Regards Troyboy.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=19619.msg174136#new

Offline ETA

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2013, 15:58:57 »
Merv, you remember correctly, assuming I do too.  These 'spectaculars' were known as 'Son et Lumiere' evenings, and when I get back to Blighty next year I shall see whether I can find some of the publicity for them in my old files.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2013, 10:55:33 »
Merv :)

I dare say that there will be something at Medway Archives Centre at Strood who hold the local press archives for this era. It is sometime ago that I was there, but I believe the papers from this era to be bound copies (I might be wrong) which is a lot easier to read, rather than on microfisch film which, for those of us who have used, will tell you that it can be rather time-consuming as the  pages don't always run in order.

Hope this helps.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 18:53:49 »
Merv :)

You are spot on. My Auntie and Uncle took me there during the 60's. I remember it as clear as day (I won a goldfish) and the following day, we went on the train to Broadstairs. Happy Days! :)

Offline Merv

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:42 »
I recall one of the biggest events in the 1960's at the Castle were the Fetes, with a local band and firework display finally.
But damned if I can find reference or photos anywhere.
I am sure Guy Fawkes night was also covered there annually.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 13:45:52 »
AlanH, that's Dick/Nick, yes indeed, the altercation at Strood was over a card game at the fair ground in Station Road, someone lost a lot of money and refused to pay.  It appears the argument got quite heated, our lad got upset and proceeded to do a demolition job on the other participants. However he always treated my family and I very well, a very generous man, especially in the Bridge Wardens. At least you knew if Dick was in there would be no trouble.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:03 »
I think he's the same bloke I knew Signals but could have sworn we called him Dick the Pole not Nick! Never mind, he was a good all round bloke.
I didn't know he'd been inside but knew he'd been a pro boxer and so did the pugs at the fete in the castle grounds and they weren't game to take him on.
If it is the same bloke he was a painter by trade and when he came home from work used to go in the Star Inn at Star Hill after getting off the train before coming up to the Bridge Wardens to finish off the evenings drinking.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:24 »
Maybe I won't get away with posting this, not a lot to do with Rochester Castle, but I do think it may interest the boys and girls of the forum. My brother in law, Riezard Romanowsky, Nick for short, came to the UK at the end of WW2. He was fourteen years old,  he had seen the Germans occupy his country and took part in the Warsaw uprising. He walked across Europe and somehow reached England.
He became a professional fighter, I don't say boxer as many of his fights were illegal bare knuckle fights. He spent some time as a guest of Her Majesty (the result of a bare knuckle fight at Strood fair) I was told. I can't confirm a lot of this, but he was not the sort of man to lie.
He had a daughter Helaina and a son, I believe his name was Stephen or Stefan.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:49 »
Hi Signals99.
Must be the same Dick, lived nearly opposite Binnacle Road junction with the Tideway. I never knew his real first name and as most Polish family names are virtually unpronouncable never ever knew that either. He was a good bloke and loved his beer.
So did I ...... and still do. :)
Sorry to hear he's gone but I suppose at the time I spoke about he would have been around 40 anyway so it's understandable.
Good times had then but aren't they always when you're young and fit and up for a laugh at any time.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2013, 17:58:13 »
Hi Alan H,
Reference the Polish gent who used the Bridge Wardens. My brother in law, Richard Romanowsky, lived on the Tideway, he practically lived in the Bridge Wardens, his wife's name was Valery.
He was usually known as Nick, may be the same person. Sorry to say both now long gone.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2013, 11:40:36 »
I remember going to the castle fete during my teens. From memory, groups in fancy dress etc., used to start from the Vines and go through to the castle grounds where there were various stalls and activities going on including a boxing rink.
An ex pro boxer mate (Dick the Pole, anyone else remember Dick?) from the Bridge Wardens conned/tricked/duped me into challenging one of the old pugs for a fiver. This bloke slipped over, it certainly wasn't me hitting him as I was only good at back pedalling, I offered to help him up and he got a bit aggressive.....and then suddenly Dick was shouting...."Alan, I am coming" and in the ring he came and all the ex pugs were falling over trying to get out of the ring!
It was so funny but I ended up fleeing as they decided I was the one they could belt and get away with it.
Happy days and not the first time or the last my long legs got me out of trouble. :)
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2013, 20:38:40 »
Back when we changed into decimal coinage, the castle had a fete that year and I went in the fancy dress competition as the new coinage with a big 50p on my front and back and a crown with the other coins on them. I didn't win; a spaceman did, but the judge did say I was very in vogue. By the way, my mum made me do it  :)
***I am still the child within***

Offline Merv

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2013, 00:29:50 »
Long before the Sweeps festival, The Carnivals, there was a yearly Fete.
It ended with a local Group doing a set on stage followed by fireworks.
Try as hard as I might I can find no photos of it, yet it was the biggest event in Rochester during the mid sixties.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines