News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rochester Castle  (Read 50428 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 59
Re: Rochester Castle
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2017, 13:55:45 »
Looks like the only one left in the country now on public display is in Ashford.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2017, 12:36:22 »
its gone by 1947 as can be seen on an image from 'Britain from above'. I assume it was removed during the early years of WWII for scrap as a lot of them where?

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2017, 12:27:34 »
There was definitely not a tank there when I lived in the area 1956 - 1966.

KeithJG

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:38 »
Not disputing what anyone says but if the tank was put there in 1919 and it was still there in 1976 why is it not here in this shot in 1948?

The concrete plinth is still there as it has always been........anyone know the date of removal?

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2017, 18:13:48 »
Just  a thought but the four masted ship in the background of KeithJG's aerial picture isn't the Arethusa by chance? Although my memories of this ship were always moored at Upnor, I have seen a painting by local artist Geoffrey Hall showing it roughly in this position.

KeithJG

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2017, 17:41:55 »
This has my memory cells on the go....i moved to Frindsbury in October 1956 when i was 8yrs and from then on used to frequent the Rochester Swimming Pool during holidays and ordinary weekends.

Being an only child i was always alone and so wondered around anywhere of interest on my way to catch the bus... i do remember from around `56 to `63 scaffolding being all around the rear of the Castle, it covered the toilet side and the rear side up to the sloping footpath ........the reason i remember is because i was a wonderer and wanted to get around the back just because i wanted to and couldn`t. I don`t think this would have anything to do with the King`s School....scaffolding??

The scaffolding could not of been later years as i had moved away and never went near the place until around 8yrs back.

I know there has been alterations to the entrance but that did not include rear scaffolding?

I am also on another mission now as i saw a photo of the tank in my Stepmum`s photo`s ...she died 3yrs ago and i am still going through her old belongings she kept.

...................................................................................

Just found this and is interesting reading it mentions the bridge over the dungeons in the small original visitors entrance:

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.027%20-%201905/027-09.pdf

Also a Castle Plan showing the tunnel under in the bottom left image.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2017, 16:26:03 »
Oops!  I was sitting on a cannon gun, not tank.  Sorry.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2017, 12:46:40 »
I used to go to the castle with my gran back in the 60s and remember the chap selling birdseed to feed the pigeons, a thing that is discouraged now 
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2017, 10:36:24 »
I too remember the entrance and wooden slats to walk over as Keith G mentions, and they were the dungeons directly below. Does anyone remember the 'bird seed seller?.  Over by where the old toilets were was a man from whom you could buy bags of seeds or nuts to feed the pigeons.  I also remember that there was a small childrens golf course on the grass (as you went up the stone steps to the gardens it was on the left hand side).  My memories are from the 1950's.

Regarding the tank. I don't know when it was removed but it was certainly still there in 1976.  Apologise for the photo - but I was young and wild!!!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:55 »
Cat, thanks for your input . The date given in the report would make me about eighteen? My memory of the visit was that it took place during my last year at St Margarets, just prior to transferring to Troy Town, I'm not to certain at what age that would have happened, maybe ten or eleven  years, so 1951/52 would be the time frame.
There was a brick retaining wall on the castle side of the moat, with a small wooden door in the wall, this led to a few steps up to the height of the embankment in front of the curtain wall, see KeithJG entry for confirmation. The excavation was almost adjacent to that door at this point. I will admit my memory grows hazy, I was more interested in Mr Berry`s story of something referred to as "apied powdre " please forgive my spelling. I think it was French or Latin? But never the less it instilled in me an interest in archaeological things that lasts till today. Bring back Time Team!.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2017, 21:01:17 »
I don't know if this helps with the question from singnals99 regards the excavation near Satis House? I have scoured the archives and found that an excavation did take place in late 1959 immediately to the southwest of Satis House by A. J. F. Dulley with the help of pupils of the local King's School, Rochester. However, this was to search for evidence of an earlier Motte and Bailey castle adjacent to the present castle and keep? I attach a copy of the only report I can find from Archaeologia Cantiana Vol 74; 1960. Could this be it, though the date for it is incorrect with singnals99 memory? Could there have been an earlier excavation attempt that has gone largely unreported?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 235
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2017, 17:14:10 »
And a beautiful four-masted barque in the background......
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

KeithJG

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2017, 16:44:03 »
I too remember that small door entrance to the keep and paid 3d in around 1957 it was a dodgy looking bridge that had to be walked over and i also thought below were the dungeons?

In fact the last time i went there about 2yrs back i went down the passageway from inside and i do believe it was the dungeons?

I always went up the castle from the swimming pool on my way back home.

I have this interesting postcard taken from the top of the keep and it shows Rochester Bridge but in the right hand corner the old WW1 Tank which i have never seen on a card so we are after 1919.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2017, 05:42:16 »
Bilgerat thanks for lead, much appreciated.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 235
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2017, 17:27:40 »
Signals99, it's mentioned earlier in this very thread - http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1859.msg13582#msg13582

The movie 'Ironclad' tells the story too, although there's a fair amount of dramatic license.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines