Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Luton - Updates  (Read 2577 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
Re: Fort Luton - Updates
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 19:13:00 »
 :) Things are moving along at a faster speed now, but we still have so much to do!  It is really good to see things progressing, it is hard to stay motivated when it doesn't seem like anything is happening.

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: Fort Luton - Updates
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 09:13:18 »
Hi Kyn

Looks like you have done quite a bit at the old Fort since last I was there, "From acorns do mighty oaks grow"!

Stewie

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 418
    • Sheppey History
Fort Luton - Updates
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 19:39:08 »
I thought I would add a little update to what is going on at Luton.  We have now become Fort Luton CIC - Community Interest Company.  This means the fort runs as a not-for-profit company and any money made goes back into the fort.  We have begun laying floors in some of the casemates and we have a long term hire set up now too.  We are getting ready for our second long term hire and are getting one of the rooms ready for our own functions and for general hiring. 

We dug a very big hole on the roof of the casemates as the drainage isn't working very well and we have a few leaks in the casemates, we uncovered one of the drainage channels and now know how they work, so in theory we can improve them.  We cleared some of the dirt that has fallen into this one and it seems to work better so we have started filling in the hole again.

We have been working in the left flank tunnel today, scraping the paint off the walls in the front expense magazine.  This is the tunnel that is to become the time tunnel so hopefully soon we can start looking at items to place in here and information to add to displays.

I will try and update you in the future.  We do have a newsletter that is due at the end of this month.  If you would like to receive this please send me your email address and I will add you to the list.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines