News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lodge Hill Battery (WWI)  (Read 10073 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Lodge Hill Battery (WWI)
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 13:53:12 »
The Battery site as it looked in June 1948:

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 22:18:47 »
Evidence of pail closets, you can see the cut-out where the pail would sit and there would be a seat above.  The hole in the wall was to retrieve the pail and replace with an empty one.   There were four pail closets on this site, two of which were converted to normal water closets at a later date.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 22:13:24 »
Or can you?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 22:12:41 »
You can never have too many...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 22:11:37 »
I may have got carried away...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 22:10:40 »
And more...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 22:09:44 »
And more...

7267 shows the remains of a copper.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 22:07:44 »
Today's photos.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 22:06:00 »
More plans :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 22:04:41 »
A little update on this battery and some plans of the detail.  A visit today revealed a feature I had overlooked before as I didn't know anything about them!

This battery is in a very sorry state now, many features destroyed and huge cracks in the walls.

I do not think the Blockhouse was added at this battery but the other features exist.

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 19:34:36 »

Not sure what a 'War Shelter' exactly is but ...

A War Shelter is exactly that, a shelter for the crew to shelter (hide) in during bombardment. The Fort Gilkicker 1906 plans show each of the earlier gun casemates designated as a War Shelters for the 6-inch and 9.2-inch gun crews above.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 19:30:04 »
Dover Turret had the same type of glass prisms built into two panels in its roof. Don't tell anyone but I liberated one (took it into safe keeping) when I visited many years ago.
Here it is:

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Davids Mate

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 17:16:50 »

I dont think there was a single one that wasn't smashed! o:) ;D

Still, it doesn't seem consistant with being a 'war shelter', I reckon it was an ammo store at some point. Check out the size of the steel doors, the no smoking sign, and whats the deal with the little hatch at the back? Looks like something was preapred inside and passed through the hatch to the outside.

Neither does their use in the roofs of the shell and cartridge store at Woldingham LMC but it is recorded as such on the plan. They don't exist but their location is visible though infilled with concrete. If you look here http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/zuhmevlox/Mobilisation%20Centres/Woldingham/SSInside02.jpg you can see the infilled opening in the roof.

Not sure what a 'War Shelter' exactly is but I notice from one of the earlier photos that it appears to have loopholes along one side and, presumably the other. Now this structure is outside the perimeter and is matched by a similar protrusion from the 'Barrack Room & c'. If that is similarly loopholed (if that is indeed what they are) it would be tempting to think they are strong-points to protect against an attack, permitting enfilading fire along the perimeter. As to the hatch's function I don't know, does it look original or a later modification. And why would you want to pass something outside the site's perimeter?

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
Re: Anti Aircraft Protection WWI
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 15:51:20 »
Possibly just illumination. Are the bottoms of the glass blocks flat or angled do you know? The two ammunition stores at Wodingham LMC were supposed to have had panels of glass blocks in the roof. They were called something like Pluedelux Patented Pavement Lights and the bottoms were angled to throw light around inside the building.

EDIT: This is what I was on about http://glassian.org/Prism/Hayward/BSE/pludelux.html

I dont think there was a single one that wasn't smashed! o:) ;D

Still, it doesn't seem consistant with being a 'war shelter', I reckon it was an ammo store at some point. Check out the size of the steel doors, the no smoking sign, and whats the deal with the little hatch at the back? Looks like something was preapred inside and passed through the hatch to the outside.

Davids Mate

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:55:47 »
Possibly just illumination. Are the bottoms of the glass blocks flat or angled do you know? The two ammunition stores at Wodingham LMC were supposed to have had panels of glass blocks in the roof. They were called something like Pluedelux Patented Pavement Lights and the bottoms were angled to throw light around inside the building.

EDIT: This is what I was on about http://glassian.org/Prism/Hayward/BSE/pludelux.html

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines