News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Darland Banks 'ridges'  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: Darland Banks 'ridges'
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 16:33:38 »
Perhaps they are the roofs of some of the Medway Towns fabled expansive tunnel network finally revealed by years of soil erosion, maybe Darland was the 'Clapham Junction' of the whole subterranean network?

;-)

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 14:43:15 »
When I first looked at the images and information on the links from Conan, I did think that soil creep appears to cause horizontal lines rather than vertical, but not having heard of soil creep before, I wasn't going to question it!

On one of the maps posted by Kyn, it shows a brickworks in that area, could the ridges be something to do with that?http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16300.msg137222#msg137222

Davpott, my father also seemed to think it was caused by water, but as you say, they are too wide and regular. Also, they appear to converge behind the tree line. As the ridges don't seem to be very pronounced, I don't think they'd be noticeable if they were to be studied up close and on foot.

(Conan, you did make me chuckle with your reply! But you know, a couple of the images on the link that you posted did indeed look like vertical ridges - so maybe there is some kind of sideways soil shift going on. Try saying that after a few 'refreshing beverages'!!!  :) )

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 15:38:47 »
As already pointed out by  filmer01 soil creep produces horizontal nor near horizontal ridges.

Near vertical markings are usually caused by water runoff but these seem to be too wide and regualr for that.

Are they spoil heaps from some activity on the top of the bank?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 08:29:19 »
Errr.. surely the ridges from Darland are "vertical" - running up/down the hill, whereas soil creep generates "horizontal" ridges across the hill?

Conan cleans computer screen, polishes glasses and studies picture again, realises he doesn't know what he is talking about and sits contritely in the corner.
   Whoops sorry  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 15:43:01 »
Errr.. surely the ridges from Darland are "vertical" - running up/down the hill, whereas soil creep generates "horizontal" ridges across the hill?
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 13:35:54 »
Thank you, Conan!

I've never heard of soil creep, but I've had a quick look on the links provided and I'm definitely going find out more about it! I can then tell my friends all about it when we're down the pub. Aren't they lucky,,,,?!?!?  :)

I knew I could count on you knowledgeable folk here on the forum - much appreciated!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 13:23:06 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
Darland Banks 'ridges'
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 14:02:31 »
Does anyone know what these 'ridges' are on the Darland Banks?

I've only been able to see them when the sun is low in the sky, thereby causing shadows, so I don't think they can be very pronounced. I've checked on a satellite image of the area, but nothing seems to show up. My father wondered if they were something to do with drainage, but I can't imagine any drainage system being so close to the surface.

The photograph was taken from the car park in Luton Rec, at about 7pm. I should have stood further back towards Capstone Road to take the picture, but I would have been in the way of a few people having fun with their radio-controlled cars (and to be honest, I didn't want to fall over one of the cars and make a complete fool of myself!)  :)

Can anyone identify them? Cheers folks!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines