News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kings Own Club Rochester  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Re: Kings Own Club Rochester
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 20:49:10 »
KeithJG, I remember in the early 70s going to a few dance/disco's in the club as I lived nearby ,I was saddened when they pulled it down and built a few .what they advertised as ' Executive homes' .
***I am still the child within***

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 14:54:02 »
My brother was a member of the Kings Own Club and he actually had a badge as far as I can remember.   As regards Peter Brett the vicar (I always thought a nasty piece of work) your sister should be pleased he didn't officiate the marriage.
When I attended this hall it was just called St. Margarets Youth Club with some weird bloke called Bernard running it.

KeithJG

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 14:39:29 »
Just found the Parish Hall on Google 1960 maps.....it is not there in 1990

My Aunt Maise lived at 10,York Road, just up King Street first on the right ...I can almost see the cherry tree I used to climb up when I was 7yrs.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:09 »
Yes that's definitely the spot where the hall was. Thanks for putting it up numanfan.
AlanH.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:58:44 »
Kelly's 1974.   114, Maidstone Road, Rochester.
             Registration Office for Births (Chatham Sub-District)
Registration & Celebration of Marriages (Chatham District)
But I always remember it as a Church Hall.
redge

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:26:11 »
I've had a look at a couple of Kelly's Directories (1963 & 1968) but neither mention the club. I think you have the location right, as the Parish Hall of St. Margaret's was opposite the cemetery, on the corner of Maidstone Road & Kings Avenue. I'm not sure when it was demolished but there are houses there now. I've marked the location on this Bing map.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 00:19:28 »
Thnx Smiler but no not the Suburban Club. Last I heard as a taxi driver years ago it was full of Indians not young religious types which my sister was. :)
AlanH.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:05 »
Hello AlanH, something tells me I've heard of this a long time ago but can`t place it at the moment. I can`t think of a hall opposite the cemetery Rochester Maidstone Rd so was wondering if you meant opposite cemetery on Chatham Maidstone Rd possibly Suburban club. Good luck with this, hope someone comes forward.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Kings Own Club Rochester
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 03:27:12 »
Does anybody know of this club or even some of it's old members? My sister who lives in NZ was a member back in the 60s from memory (mine) but is now suffering since losing her hubby last year who was also a member.
His name was Dennis Sivyer, hers is Sheila.
The bloke that ran the club was a vicar by the name of Brett and he was also at St Margaret's church. He apparently refused to marry them for unknown reasons, but not a very Christian attitude at all to my way of thinking.
The club used a hall opposite the cemetery on Maidstone Road.
I can remember her talking about a Michael Barton (family owned sawmills ) Brian Clinch and a Jean possibly Robinson. It would be nice if I could send her some info as it may help her declining mental health problems.
AlanH.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines