News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Missed Fortune?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
Re: A Missed Fortune?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 19:25:06 »
You've reminded me of the Tommy Cooper story, where he says something like:
I went up in our loft and found an old violin and a portrait, so I took them round to an expert. He said they were a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt. Trouble is, Rembrandt made terrible violins and Stradivarius was a lousy painter.

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 00:30:59 »
Maybe a missed fortune is a blessing in disguise....?

I missed out on a 25,000 prize by my own stupidity. One of the petrol companies (BP, I think) was giving out scratch cards if you bought a certain amount of fuel. On the front of the card there was a grid, roughly 8 x 8 squares, and you had to scratch off six squares (no more, no less) to reveal Star Trek characters, 3 or more Mr. Spocks, for example, would win a prize, as would 3 or more Scottys, The higher the Star Trek character's rank, the bigger the prize.

I paid for the fuel, received my card, and scratched away the first box - Captain Kirk. I chose another box and scratched. Another Captain Kirk. Hmm... Well, there won't be a third Kirk, I never win anything. But to my surprise, the third box DID reveal a Captain Kirk. And so did the fourth. I trembled as I scratched, surely not.... YES!! Another Captain Kirk!! Another scratch, another Kirk!! I scratched again..... AND REVEALED CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!! I had the winning card! For the first time in my life, I'd WON!!!

Keen readers will notice that in my excitement, I'd scratched off 7 squares. The rules stated that only 6 squares were to be scratched off. Even though each character WAS a Captain Kirk, I had voided the card, it was worthless, no matter how much I argued/pleaded with the promoter.

I like to think that the money would have brought me nothing but problems, and something that day saved me from the misery that a large lump sum can bring..... (at least that's what I tell myself when there's a large vet bill, the bike needs new tyres and a chain, and my washing machine goes kaput all in the same month!!!)  :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 13:07:19 »
My missed fortunes both concern Stamps.The first one was with my Godmother (auntie). Her grandfather was I/C the local Army group about 1840 ish and often had to send letters to local men regarding meetings, practice etc. and always had a lot of Penny Black stamps for postage.  When he died he had loads of these mint stamps in his stamp box. My Auntie lost these somewhere in the house but said when she found them  I could have them and number two, when I was at sea my friend Bonzo took me to see a relative of his who had a load of letters from England about 1840 to 1860 in a suitcase in the attic, from their families. She also said that she would get them all down and give them to me next time I  went back to them. BUT then I had left the sea to get married to my beloved. Hence I missed out on a pile of Penny Black stamps, mint and used .!!!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 21:46:13 »
Dream on Delboy, Where there's muck there's money. Try skip diving.
redge

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
A Missed Fortune?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 15:45:30 »
One of my first jobs after school was working for a while at a furniture store and removals business in the town. One job, together with another lad, was being sent round to complete a house clearance job after the `A Team` had the previous day removed all of the contents deemed worth salvaging to the auction mart . There was always the hope they may have missed something of value, but mainly it was a case of lifting filthy carpets and lino and a few broken sticks of furniture into the van for transport to the tip. A dirty job but someone had to do it.
Then my mate comes across a glass vase on the windowsill of a toilet and reckoned it was nice enough to be worth a bob or two. He had a good eye; he subsequently off-loaded it to a local junk shop dealer and was very grateful to be offered no less than two quid! Considering our wages were about 7 a week at the time that was not bad going.
My stroke of luck was more problematical. Under a pile of old newspapers in the cuboard under the stairs was a violin case, opening of which revealed what was assuredly (hopefully) a Stradivarius worth thousands! How to realise that valuation was the question, the source might be asked. The only music shop in town was located directly opposite the shop and the lady owner related to our manager! After much agonising the instrument was eventually laid aside and forgotten, ending up in the loft with some of my other things when I later left home and the district.
Some years elapsed before I was minded to enquire and, to my chagrin, found my mother had put it out for the dustmen several years before because, as she quite rightly observed, I was never likely to play it. Now that would have been that had not a niggling thought arisen. There had been a council worker, sometimes on the dustcart, who when he retired achieved some local notoriety by going to live in the South of France, by no means a common occurrence in those days. I do still sometimes wonder .. ! :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines