News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Luton Village Infants School  (Read 4401 times)

Offline James P

• Appreciation 1
Re: Luton Village Infants School
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 14:22:46 »
I also have memories of this old school, having had two separate years there in the late 50's.  After my last term, which I believe was 1959, the school was closed. I remember Messrs. Sterne, Brookes,Hancock and the lady who lived in the cottage between the school and the Parochial Hall, her name was Mrs. Miller. The old cast iron framed desks with their little folding oak seats would not pass muster in a classroom today, to say nothing of the great coke burning stoves in the centre of each classroom!

Offline Jean

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 19:58:59 »
It has been interesting reading this thread. I remember Mr Hancock the caretaker very well. No matter what was happening in the classroom he would amble through to top up the boiler, just as well really as it was the only heating source in the room. My memory is, that the school in the mid fifties had become an annex to the infant school further along the road. I remember leaving the infant school after lunch, accompanied by teachers, and walking along Luton Road to the annex.
There were two classrooms for the girls, in one we were taught english and in the other needlework.
Our needlework teacher was terrifying to a small skinny girl of around eight. No matter how hard I tried to get my stitches even, she would berate me for using my left hand and pull out all my stitches. To this day I can only sew with my right hand.
Next to the annex was a hall where we used to have our Christmas parties. There were many gravestones around the hall which makes me think the at some time the land must have belonged to Christchurch.

Offline Radioham 49

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 19:21:26 »
I may have a black & white photo of the gold star in the old photo collection. I will post it here when found. I think it was taken in 1966. Chris Chappell lived 4 doors down from us in Eden Ave, on Wayfield Estate. What a superb bike.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 20:24:33 »

Hi Trevor. yes it all makes  sense now  i remember Chris and his BSA,  thank you.............ajemp.

Offline trevor chapell

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 19:24:39 »
Hi Ajemp,
 I think the person with the motorcycle was a Chris Chappell we went through all our school lives in the same classes. This did cause confusion at times, if you look at the surnames you will see he has 2 p's in his. As far as I can remember he lived in Wayfields . I remember his motorcycle  it was a really nice BSA Gold Star cafe racer he called it old goldie.

Offline OldMuzza

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 17:29:14 »
Hi, Radioham 49.  1956-57 was also my second year at Luton Junior School and I too was taught by Mr Sterne at "the Annex". So I guess we must have ben in the same class? The other class was taught by Mr Brooks, I think.

Have you seen the "Luton Junior School" thread, where there are class photographs from 1955-56 and also one from about 1953 at the Infant's school?

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 21:30:18 »
Hi Trevor , sorry over name mix up ( Wite etc) ,yes i know the Cordiers very well, they were great friends of my brothers Peter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do i imagine somebody  a with motorbike  in the family  we lived in Cherbourg cresent.myself  ,Peter,and Steven, getting back to the infants school i remember a very bad winter we  all played  in the snow but my sister could only watch  us  from the classroom because she only had cne pair of shoes  sandles.........times were hard then. another name i recall was John Hudson we played  with some  toys in the play ground.,,,,,,,Ajemp

Offline trevor chapell

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 19:18:46 »
Hello Tony,
 I was there 50 to 53 ten as you to Luton Juniors and Fort Luton. I do remember your name but it could be from my inlaws they lived in Wayfields you probably know them the Cordiers David, Doug and Fred

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 16:38:41 »
Yes Trevor I can recall the school  and can remember the teacher she always had her hair in  a bun, I recall pet  rabbits. We took turns to feed them, not sure about the surname White  doesnt ring a bell with  me,  I can recall  the play ground there was stone wall  parallel with pavement  and there was  an iron fence  across the play ground. I was there in the 50s then to  Luton  juniors then to Fort Luton. back to infants school I remembered the old heater a wood buring stove........Mrs Whte  ( if correct )retired   and  lved on Wayfield Estate ...........................by the way  i can remember your  name........... what year was you there?.....my name is Tony Empett.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ajemp

Offline Radioham 49

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 23:36:41 »
Was there in 1956-7 in the the second year of Luton Junior  school. My teacher  was Mr Sterne & caretaker was Mr Hancock who used to keep the coal fires stoked up.
I think the info is correct it was a long time ago.

Offline Ted H

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 19:28:50 »
My late wife attended the infants school circa.1930. Her main memory was being sent home because she had an unclean pinafore ! She was mortified, her mother was none too pleased either ! Standards were very high in those days !

Offline trevor chapell

• Appreciation 0
Luton Village Infants School
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 20:41:06 »
Does anyone remember or even attended Luton Village Infants in Luton High Street opposite Luton Bus Depot. I was there in the early 50s it was a lovely little school only 4 classrooms that I can remember, one of which was at the rear of the church hall. As far as I can remember the headmistress was a Mrs Hills.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines