News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The day the sea froze  (Read 5466 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: The day the sea froze
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 13:58:13 »
I (aged 8 from Barnsole Road School) was evacuated to Herne Bay in Sept. '39. We were amazed when the sea froze that Winter- we'd only ever seen it when on holiday in the Summer!  Nothing like as bad as the '62/'63 freeze though- conan put some photo's on KHF in 2015 of Sheerness, makes me shiver just looking at them!

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 11:30:12 »
I remember very well it seemed to go on forever but I was young and did not mind ploughing through the snow or slipping on the ice, oh to be young again, if we had that this year I would be apprehensive to say the least. When your young your made of rubber, not so as you get older, those little knocks and bruises seem to hurt for weeks. Oh well that's life, I wish I took photos back then it was something to talk about at the time that's for sure.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 09:57:36 »
I was about 5 at the time when my parents took me to see the Medway frozen .
Hope x

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 23:38:40 »
Nice one Stan Stannard, and welcome to the forum :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Stan Stannard

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:16 »
Found a few pics of the frozen medway. The strand at Gillingham and Gillingham pier.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 17:55:24 »
It makes me laugh when us living in the South get in the annual flap about the flurries of snow and cold and why no snowploughs etc etc regarding the winter weather of the last 20-30 years. I dread to think what the 'youngsters' would do if we had a repeat performance of 62/63, 1947 or 1939/40. Scots and those living in the North must laugh too - they often have that, tho again not so severe as in the past

Although in 62/3 I was living in Essex I was in Whitstable for Christmas & New Year when the sea started to freeze and it snowed. The thaw eventually started about the 20th March but it was still a couple of weeks before the snow man I made at Christmas melted.

I was living in Whitstable in 1947 and was intrigued to see the ice floes forming in the sea and at lunch time went down to the beach, took off my shoes and stockings and waded in to see how the floes were formed - like thick chunks of soap flakes (I wondered why I had chilblains after).

In both these episodes there was a lot of freezing fog and also freezing rain and very cold - but it was a dry cold - it is when its damp the we feel it more. Yes we have had a few spells of cold & Snow over the years since but the max has been no more than two weeks - those years it was rather Wagnerian about 3 months. Just imagine the chaos!!!!

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 11:53:14 »
I was an apprentice in the Dockyard at the time and I recall the Medway was frozen at Upnor, but it was frozen broken flows not flat sheets. And the ice was pink and blue in patches. I believe this was caused by dyes being discharged into the river from the various paper mills. Can anyone confirm seeing this pinkish bluish ice? One or two apprentices tried to walk across from the 'yard to Upnor Castle but were stopped by Dockyard Policemen, very severely!
I also recall my father & I had to walk to work for two weeks, a distance of perhaps three miles, because there were no bus services to our part of the town. Buses were running from the Town Hall to the 'Yard but he wasn't going to pay the fare from there having already walked so far at 0600 in the morning!

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 15:28:37 »
I remember  the 1963  freeze well, but I've just had this today..http://veryweather.co.uk/2015/11/weather-warning-worst-winter-five-years-heavy-snow-really/
Much prefer this one to others I've read about  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:34 »
I shall remember it for ever... the year I got married. :-0 I can well recall the height of the snow drifts up the Rochester Maidstone Rd going past the airport. You could not see over the top of them.
The weather was so cold for so long that frost just kept building up and up and never thawing. Chain link fencing become solid frost. It really was an amazing Winter and not one I ever want to see again.
AlanH.

Offline Jean

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 20:35:07 »
I was at the Technical School in April 1963 and remember looking across to the solid ice on the River Medway. It was an amazing sight, the river was frozen until almost the end of April and then the ice broke very slowly.  The weather was so so cold. I recall one especially cold day arriving home to stew and dumplings for dinner. What could have been better? I still associate bad weather with stew and dumplings.

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 13:00:35 »
Well, my parents did say that they remembered the bad weather lasted until Easter!!  :)

I know what you mean about being on higher ground - we used to live in Walderslade at the top of Dargets Road, and on one occasion in the early seventies there was a heavy enough snowfall for Dad & I to make a fairly large snowman in the back garden. Later that day we visited my Gran who lived in Luton, and they'd not had any snow at all - just some sleety rain!

The snow just petered out as we drove down Lordswood Lane (in the days before North Dane Way was built!) but the higher ground all round (Darland Banks, etc) was still covered with snow!

KeithJG

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 18:12:36 »
I can remember the ice flows going under Rochester Bridge and the snow ended up in dirty and icy banks in the gutters of the roads and that was April`63.

Read it again ...Lol

Ice flows under Rochester Bridge were about January / February as the ice broke up........ the snow ended up in dirty ice banks by the roadside in April `63

At least it did in Frindsbury being higher than most places around it.

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 13:56:22 »
Ice flows under Rochester Bridge in April? Wow, that must have been amazing to see! I doubt that we'll see anything like that for a VERY long time, if ever.

I have in my collection of 'local history' books a photograph of Military Road during that winter, and a photograph of a milk float that has slid into a house (the milkman and residents all looking remarkably cheerful). Am I allowed to post them on the forum if I state where the images are taken from? (That is, if the relevant books have been returned to me after lending them out....)

KeithJG

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 18:32:48 »
I was 13yrs and remember the very first snowflakes in my area of this very cold period.

It was about 7.30am on Boxing Day 1962 and i was delivering the last of my papers on my round and i turned around from this letterbox and straight away saw snowflakes gently coming down and it did not stop snowing up in Frindsbury for about 3 days.

I can remember the ice flows going under Rochester Bridge and the snow ended up in dirty and icy banks in the gutters of the roads and that was April`63.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 17:10:45 »
Well remember the winter of `63, the frozen sea, places across the North Downs cut off for weeks, incidents like grave-diggers reported using pneumatic drills to break the surface, supposedly for the first time ever,  etc. The odd thing is that I do not recall being unduly affected by the cold myself, perhaps having to wear more clothing than usual, although I did have quite a good overcoat at the time. Travelled to work on a moped, never possessing a helmet, do not recall any problems arising with that either. Spoke to someone who had a very similar recollection of that period. Perhaps we were just tougher then.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines