News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WW2 Photographs  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
Re: WW2 Photographs
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:23:40 »
Thanks, yeoman, hadn't thought of that. You really are a helpful bunch of people.

Alastair

Offline yeoman

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 21:31:26 »
I would also consider the Royal Navy Museum at the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth.  We put some family photos in there a few years back - one of my wife's relatives had been a photographer moving from Fleet Street into the RN.  We not only had a lot of photos but also the passes which pretty much said that he could go where he liked in various bases and dockyards and photograph pretty much what he liked.  They've also been pretty good on my grandfather's time in the RN

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 14:16:50 »
Great stuff, all of you. Many thanks. Link is particularly interesting Longpockets. Thank you all so much.

Regards

Alastair

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 22:10:33 »

If any show  HMS Cavalier Chatham Dockyard or the Cavalier Association might be interested.

There were many HMS ships involved please see here.

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/russian/index.html?home.htm~rumain

http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/arctic.html

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 242
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 18:16:14 »
For what it's worth, the Royal Navy themselves might be interested, particularly if any of the ships shown have namesakes currently in service. Also, the Royal Navy might be able to put you in touch with the various veterans associations, some of whom have websites on which they might want to publish the photos. also, the National Maritime Museum may also be interested.

The Imperial War Museum is probably the best idea though
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 15:20:47 »
Thanks, conan - will investigate

Regards,

alastair

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 13:49:51 »
The Imperial War Museum would be a good place to start,they have a huge collection of photographs as Herb Collector is so wonderfully proving on this forum  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
WW2 Photographs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:36:18 »
Can any of you clever people advise me?
A relative has been handed a large bundle of photographs taken by her father when he was in the Royal Navy on Arctic convoys during WW2. I haven't seen them but they apparently show pictures of enemy action, planes crashing into the sea, etc.
Do ships of that period have Associations who might be interested in such photos? She is afraid that they might get thrown away when she is gone which would be a great shame.

Kind Regards

Alastair

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines