News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hammer and chisel ship launching  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 15
Re: Hammer and chisel ship launching
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 18:01:48 »
         At a very rough guess I would say it would be to cut the "Weak Link" holding the ship back on its launching cradle, allowing it then to start the controlled slide down into the water.   

Grandarog has it spot on.

It would appear, after an internet search, it was in use to launch HMS Lion Battlecruiser in 1910 (built at Devonport). The ship launch ceremony was cutting a rope with a mallet and chisel after breaking a bottle of wine across her bows.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Hammer and chisel ship launching
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:54:07 »
         At a very rough guess I would say it would be to cut the "Weak Link" holding the ship back on its launching cradle, allowing it then to start the controlled slide down into the water.
        Not being in any way navy or dockyard familiar, I am sure some one on here will either substantiate my guess or provide the full correct information you require. :)

Dockyardguy

Hammer and chisel ship launching
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 22:55:18 »
Good evening

Can some one please tell me what function  a hammer and chisel were  used for in ceremonial ship launching ?

Regards

dockyard guy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines