News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Gillingham Shelters  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 269
Re: Gillingham Shelters
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 17:46:33 »
As I recall from my childhood, there were three shelters in the patch of ground between what was then the Sunlight Laundry and the gardens of houses on the north side of Devonshire Road. There appeared to be a large shelter and two smaller ones. The whole patch of ground was totally overgrown and fenced off until it was cleared in the early 1990s (I think) to build the block of flats which now occupies the site.

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

merc

Gillingham Shelters
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:42:31 »
Chatham News - Friday 08 September 1939

The following trench shelters have been constructed and are now available:-
Balmoral Gardens, Vinall Park, Woodlands Road off Gillingham Museum, Boulevard at White Horse Hill, Boulevard at junction of Woodlands Road, Gillingham Park, Rainham Recreation Ground: off Maidstone Road, Rainham, Children's playing ground, off Holding Street, Rainham, and at Fort Darland.

Communal sunken shelters, each to accommodate 50 persons, have been constructed at the following places:-
Garden lawn in front of Liberal Club, Canterbury Street, St. Mark's Vicarage, playing ground, James Street School, playing ground, Skinner Street School, Lay-by, Brompton Road, Black Lion playing fields, Knight Avenue, with junction of Pier Road, Off the passage between Nelson Road and Gillingham Road (near the Bus Depot).
Other shelters will soon be constructed at St. Augustine's Church Green, Byron Road School playing ground, Car park west end of High Street, land off Cornwall Road at rear of Richmond Road, Roseberry Road, near the junction of Pier Road, Forge Lane, Gillingham Green on allotments at rear of "Clarendon", Balmoral Gardens, Nelson Road, opposite Bus Depot, County School, Third Avenue, Pumping Station, Rainham Road, Congregational Church Gardens, High Dewar Road, Rainham.
The Council are also seeking quotations for the stregthening of basements of business premises in Gillingham High Street, whose owners have opened them as public shelters.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines