News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leisure ,, We had fun  (Read 7957 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Leisure ,, We had fun
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 10:15:10 »
I'm sure all crooks these days know all the places people hide keys which is why no one would ever do that now. Here in Oz we don't have letter boxes in the door but have them at the front of the garden (yard) or in the case of flats, at a big letter box out the front of them with each individual flat having it's slot.
Certainly makes it easier for the postman. Much better for the delivery of papers as well as I remember being chased by a nasty dog along Valley View Rd when I went up the path to stick the paper through the door!  :)
AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 14:41:16 »
In my village you left the housekey with the police when you went on holiday -
Give police keys to your house..Never!  Our houses had no keys, there was never anything of value in them.  We simply let a few neighbours on each side that we were away for the weekend and they would keep an eye out for any problems.

Our door key was on a shoelace inside the front door behind the letter box, we would put our hands through to get it and let ourselves in .
***I am still the child within***

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 13:57:43 »
As a child I can recall a boat trip from the sun pier to Upnor, I think the price was tuppence for kids or thereabouts. We had ice cream  in a make shift café, an old concrete boat, we played on a rather small beach threw stones into the water;  nice memories.
ajemp.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 02:10:15 »
I actually paid for the bike frame and bits like brakes, gears etc (33 quid which was a small fortune then) and my elder bro., who was working, gave me the wheels which kept the price down a fair bit.
All my earnings as a paper boy then apprentice went to pay for that bike. Then girls came along and "turned my head".....  :)Yes Len Chambers used to have big groups gathering there for coffee and bull sessions. Most of the bike frames and other equipment he sold came from abroad, France, Switzerland and Italy and was reckoned to be the best, hence the high prices.
Then they moved to a bigger shop opposite the Bull Hotel and started flogging scooters as well but never had the same atmosphere as the old underneath the arches shop.
By the way, my bike was fully insured against theft but when the wheel got nicked the insurers said "accessories are not covered"!!!! Wonder if they'd ever tried riding a racing bike on one wheel?
Nothing changes with that lot I suppose.
Got to agree, memories from one person sets a whole new train of thought going sometimes quite unrelated to the post.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 16:10:05 »
AlanH if you could afford Chambers prices, how come you lived in our part of Rochester? It's a coincidence ref your front wheel, as I well recall the shed full of nicked cycle parts, found at a house in Strood, Darnly way I think. Now Chambers were reputed to actually manufacture cycle frames in their workshop, some of them very expensive. Most Sunday mornings you could see a mass of bikes parked around that end of Corporation St  as cyclists came from the far flung regions to buy and browse.
Remember a particular PC who made it his business to move them on, think his name was PC Diprose?
You know, it's fantastic how one persons memories can jog ones mind and unlocks a whole new chain of thinking for me, I love KHF and all the lovely people in/on it. So please keep them coming, may be chitchat to some but it's pure enjoyment to others.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 08:18:21 »
Hi Signals. I for one certainly remember the baths on the Esplanade. Day and night a great place to gather for fun. I parked my racing bike outside one day and when dressing could hear the staff calling out if anyone had a "Raleigh" bike outside. Didn't bother me as mine was a Fiorelli (Italian) and the thick head who saw it couldn't understand that foreign name or pronounce it!
I found out why when I went out of the change rooms as there was my bike minus the front wheel. :-((( A horrible bit of low life had seen my bike was locked with a chain by the back wheel and frame to the fence but the front wheel could be nicked by opening the quick release lever (Campagnolo) and just pulling the wheel out. Damn and blast.
So off I went wheeling the bike along on the back wheel to the nick which was near the castle in those days to make a theft report.
"So what's a wheel worth" the big copper said "5 shillings or so?" He couldn't believe it when I told him the whole bike was worth 50 quid and was insured for that. :)
Anyway, during the course of investigations at a house in Strood/Frindsbury they found a shed full of nicked bikes and parts including a strange expensive looking wheel so I got it back in a couple of weeks. 
Never stopped me going to the baths though and can still remember some of the others that got down there at all hours.
Also can still see in my minds eye old Shack and Humbug and Peabug. Sharmans bike shop as well but being a novice racer I went with elder bro to Chambers whose shop was under the old railway arches on Corporation Street.
Great memories, keep them coming folks.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 23:13:21 »
Rochester -bred, I bet you looked the bees knees in your out fit(see last blog).Now can any one remember climbing over the swimming pool wall at the esplanade for a late night swim?it was the  habit of a number of us early teenagers to do this,no damage no vandalism, just the thrill of bucking the system, and being were we should not have been, the heady wine of opposition to conformity. We went skinny dipping years before it became popular or even called "skinny dipping" girls and boys in our small gang, I recall most of their names, but modesty forbids a mention, but if any of the old Union st/John st /King st gang are still out there, be pleased to hear from you ,

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:42:39 »
First kiss was planted on me on a piece of waste land next door to Rochester Court house by a certain young Glanville lad wont mention which one wink wink I was 11 or 12 , first proper kiss was at a bus stop aged 13 standing in my Crombie coat , hair feather cut ,Stapress green trousers and Ben Sherman shirt with a pair of loafers with blakkies in the heels,dressed as a Smoothie (a softer version of the skinheads) oh those where the days of innocence ,how I would love to relive them :)e

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:34:45 »
House keys were kept on a shoe lace hanging indoors behind the letter box so you could put your hand through and grab them to let yourself in , no one we knew had anything of worth to steal either.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 12:27:14 »
In my village you left the housekey with the police when you went on holiday -
Give police keys to your house..Never!  Our houses had no keys, there was never anything of value in them.  We simply let a few neighbours on each side that we were away for the weekend and they would keep an eye out for any problems.
©2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 14:54:12 »
For me it was much as has been written apart from the fact that our 'play ground' was St Augustine's Asylum at Chartham! There were certain members of staff you had to dodge but as most were our parents we had no real worries (not even from the Patients). I was lucky as Dad's work was also his hobby and I grew up with steam machinery in the garden and a small paddle steamer on the Medway (at Wateringbury). We played in woods, swum in the River, built camps and go-carts, annoyed some people but we did no harm. If you had a pen knife you were a God-send for cutting bows and sharpening arrows. We all knew the local Copper and he knew us. Our biggest fear that he would tell our parents of some misdemeanour or other and as well as the clip around the ear we would get our backsides smacked. Above all though we had respect for people and property, all my mates Mum's were Auntie and their Fathers Uncle yet none of us were related.

They were Happy Days.........

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:45 »
In my village you left the housekey with the police when you went on holiday - the policeman was a familiar face who rattled the doorhandles of shops every evening and who threatened to tell my parents when he caught me riding my tricycle (its boot full of bottles to cash-in) on the pavement instead of on the 3-lane A road that bisected the village.  I never actually got caned at school - the headmaster was canny enough to realise that the threat of "I'll tell your parents" was a worse punishment - in my case leading to that most terrible of sentences, "I'm very disappointed in you"!

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 16:31:26 »

Hi Alan H sounds like you had some fun ,, I can recall  a trip to the old G.P.O.building on the  bottom of the Rochester Maidstone road  there.was myself and two mates  exploring the area when came across a vertical tunnel  with rungs, so being adventurous we climbed down gripping the rungs.when we got to bottom we could hardly see  we had one  torch with us so we ventured on .    we were heading to the other side of the river Medway  the further we went in the darker and more windy it become, we carried  on until  it became  to dark and scary  so we headed back...by this time the battery went  flat in the only torch we had  we got to the ladder looked up to see a circle  of day light   climbed about halfway then could  hear vocies  of other kids  .............then we felt water  dropping on us or was it......i think you can guess! anyway it turned out to be Fort Clarence we were trespassing on.  we had a good day out and learnt something about the interlinked  forts

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:45:57 »
I remember much the same as ajemp does. We made our own fun back in the 50s and 60s. I lived in Baker St until I was 8 (1952) and then the Maidstone Rd at Cookham Wood.
I roamed the allotments at the bottom of Baker St and Priestfields with my elder brother and sister until we moved. Carol S who lived in Baker St and myself pigged out on raw runner beans off someone's allotment one day.......I couldn't eat them for many years afterwards!  :)
Then when we moved to Cookham Wood it was the Robin Hood woods, Buckmore Park and the woods at the Borstal Institute farm  and right opposite where I lived until they built the police houses.
We made bows and arrows, spears and catapults, shot mobs of birds with our air rifles, made camps in the woods but rarely harmed anyone else.  Caught old Humbug the road sweeper having a poo in one of our camps one day and I pinged his backside hard with my catapult......you should have seen him jump and shout. :) Straight over Maidstone Rd he went and told the next door neighbour what her son had done..... and showed her his backside! The poor lady and my mother had fits laughing about it later. He never did that in our camps again though.

AlanH.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:51 »
We played outside ,that was the main leisure, anything from street chase, knock down ginger, football with us girls watching, we had adventures on disused land ,set up camps, played skipping, two balls against the wall, I had a battery record player Id take to our local field with singles to play to my friends, we exercised unknowingly ,breathed fresh air into our lungs and lived and laughed in the sunlight till it was time for tea  and bed .

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines