News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twydall County Primary Junior School  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Twydall County Primary Junior School
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 20:02:21 »
Nitty Nora  " the hair explorer " ! Remember her visits well at school in Ramsgate, and a horrid dollop of something on your nails if you bit them.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 19:54:24 »
The nit inspections were undertaken at all primary schools. The nit nurse seems, whichever the school, to have always been nicknamed Nitty Nora, what an awful job that must have been. I guess the nail inspections were to check for white spots on them, a sign of calcium deficiency apparently. 
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:37:03 »
I left there in 1962 and remember everything here EXCEPT the sports pavilion so maybe that was built after that - do you know?

Hello N_S. To the best of my knowledge the pavilion was there when I started at Twydall Juniors, in September '62. Quite possible then, that it was erected in the summer of '62, between your departure and my arrival.

One awful day the girls were all lined up for a medical inspection including being searched for nits, whatever they were! I know I was rather enraged at the indignity of it all!  All so long ago!!!!!!!

Hello Maid of Kent. Thank you for sharing your fascinating memories. Those nit inspections were still common in my time. And finger nail inspections.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 22:14:18 »
I went to this school during the middle of the war, I think about 1941-2 when I was 5-6. It was not segregated then because I remember being in mixed classes. My friend David & I started in the reception class which was at the bottom of the left hand side of picture. I then remember being in the next but one on the same side and then in the first class room in the hut no 7 where my teacher was Mrs Oliver - the only one whose name I remember. I have no recollection of the other huts on that side 5 & 6, nor of the air raid shelters or Pavilion. We never went in the shelters, perhaps they were dug about the time I left. I don't think there were school meals provided - I certainly went home to Eastcourt Farm. If I remember rightly the senior children were in the class rooms down the right hand side. There was an assembly hall some where - probably at the top end of the picture. I left there in October 1943 when my mother & I moved to Whitstable.
What I learnt there, I cannot remember! I know they had cardboard coins to teach us how to add up £.s & d and an abacus - but never made much headway in that side of things. Our first reading books where about a farmer 'I am Old Lob' 'I am Mr Dan' (collie); 'I am Miss Tibs' (cat) etc. - I won`t go on! I loved reading and as I could already read fairly well before I went to school was soon on Beacon readers. One awful day the girls were all lined up for a medical inspection including being searched for nits, whatever they were! I know I was rather enraged at the indignity of it all!  All so long ago!!!!!!!

Offline N_S

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:08 »
I left there in 1962 and remember everything here EXCEPT the sports pavilion so maybe that was built after that - do you know?

Offline Sad Git

• Appreciation 3
    • Upbury Manor Days
Twydall County Primary Junior School
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 15:32:13 »
This is how the school looked in the 1960s

1, 2 & 3 – These large grassy mounds housed air raid shelters.

4 – This fourth air raid shelter was still in use for storage, possibly by a gardener/caretaker as the entrance, though gated was still accessible.

5, 6 & 7 – Horsa huts, each housed two classrooms.

8 – Besides being the school canteen this large Nissen hut housed one class at its lower end.

9 – The garden in the quadrangle. Please note that the little images are supposed to be plants and shrubs, not space invaders. Also, the frame around it isn’t a path but a glass roof above the corridors.

10 – The boys’ gate.

11 – The girls’ gate.

12 – Sports Pavilion

13 – Toilet block

Note: In 1962/63 segregation was still rigorously enforced in the playground. Separate gates into the school meant girls and boys arrived on their own sides of the playground. There they played and there they stayed, under the watchful eye of a pair of Ena Sharples and Martha Longhurst lookalikes. The rule applied during every break, yet when the whistle blew and playtime ended, boys and girls lined up together and returned to mixed classes. This archaic rule was scrapped the following year. Children could then enter and leave school by the most convenient gate.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines