News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pedestrian Tunnel Air Raid Shelter, Norfolk Road, Gravesend  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Kentishwolf

• Appreciation 11
Re: Pedestrian Tunnel Air Raid Shelter, Norfolk Road, Gravesend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 18:02:07 »
That is true mmitch, the railway bridge in Vale Road was much wider and because it was a wide road, I agree, blast walls would not have been practical. It also had good sight lines for enemy aircraft from both sides along Vale Road. As this was a pedestrian walkway, much narrower, and with buildings blocking any sight lines from both sides, this would have been a much safer option. It would probably not have been obvious to enemy aircraft that there was even a tunnel here. Added to the fact there was a Heavy Anti-Aircraft gun site, probably with lighter Bofors guns as well, not far away on Denton marshes.
The Fields Lie Sleeping Underneath.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:54 »
Railway lines were liable to attack. Several people hiding under the railway bridge in Vale road Gravesend were killed by machine gun fire from a plane. As it is a wide road, blast walls there would have been impracticable.
mmitch.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 20:07:03 »
I would guess the wall was painted white to make it brighter inside.  i would never have thought that this or any other place like this was used as an air raid shelter. There must be hundreds like this still around in other parts of the country. People must walk through them every day without ever knowing what it may have been used for.

Offline Kentishwolf

• Appreciation 11
Pedestrian Tunnel Air Raid Shelter, Norfolk Road, Gravesend
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 17:28:30 »
Checking the Kent HER it shows that the pedestrian tunnel, underneath the railway line between Norfolk Road and Raphael Road was adapted as an air raid shelter in 1939. It almost certainly had some form of blast wall at either end, possibly sandbags? It could accommodate 46 people. There is speculation that the white paint job on the inside may have originated from it's time as a shelter. There are also clips along the top of the roof for electrical cabling, possibly lighting, but I am not sure when that was from.
The Fields Lie Sleeping Underneath.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines