News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gray's of Chatham  (Read 24245 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Re: Gray's of Chatham
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2015, 12:03:08 »
I’m unconvinced that there is either tangle or web; companies are simply ‘legal persons’ and change their name, address, telephone number, occupation and relationships for all manner of reasons, just as ‘natural persons’ do.  A common registered address across a small group/‘family’ is the norm (being often that of the external accountants).

As PC and others have previously posted, Norman John Gray was born in January 1919, Herbert Meindert Gray in February 1948 and Donald Norman Gray in April 1950.  Grays of Chatham Limited was born on 1st May 1956 and is currently parent to Grays of Sittingbourne Limited and to Grays Medway Limited.  Through its directors/owners it is related to Norman Gray Limited and to trader Medway Hyundai, aka Hyundai Go, aka Grays Hyundai, aka Grays Used Car Centre.

Try https://companycheck.co.uk/ for hours of fun!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 17:15:07 »
Thanks for that, LynL, but what a tangled web.

To the east of the Taste of China there is still the open space of 25 to 33 High Street, Chatham, titled ‘Grays Used Car Centre’ but presumably with ‘Grays of Chatham Ltd’ displayed somewhere to meet legal requirements. According to Companies House website – presumably regularly updated - the registered address is still 1st Floor, 9 High Street, Chatham, in the premises to the west of Taste of China! Although the registered address need not be permanently occupied, but merely a place from which mail will be collected.

To the west of the Taste of China there is the premises occupied at various times by Gray’s, Merritt’s and Kwik-Fit but, so far as I know, recently wholly by Gray’s, with the phone number 01634 408408. Then came the notice in the window saying that they had moved to a new site at Rainham. But that phone number is now used by Medway Hyundai at Rainham, whose website gives no indication of any association with Gray’s.

Now we find that the premises vacated by Gray’s, presumably because they are unsuitable, are occupied by Humphries and Parks, for whom they presumably are suitable!

Humphries and Parks Ltd are a private limited company with registered office at West Malling, and are Mitsubishi dealers.

Other pebbles in the pond, which may or may not be significant are:
1.   Gray’s Medway Ltd has the same registered address as Gray’s of Chatham
2.   Gray’s Sittingbourne Ltd also has the same registered address as Gray’s of Chatham, although it has ‘working’ premises at St Michael’s Road, Sittingbourne
3.   Norman Gray Ltd, based at Uckfield, is a company that owns and lets out real estate.
4.   Humphries and Parks Holdings Ltd, with a registered address in Chatham Maritime, has some of the same directors as Humphries and Parks, and also owns and rents out property.

Regarding 3 and 4, one has to ask of those premises in Chatham High Street, who owns what and rents what out to whom?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 12:08:47 »
I went past today, Grays is still there. The previous showroom is now Humphries and Parkes. There is still plenty of through traffic, you just can't get through Medway St, but have to go up or down Manor Road.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2015, 18:17:48 »
If you mean the current situation, Ajemp, I would be surprised if Gray’s were not still in the open space in Chatham High Street, next to the Taste of China. The article in Nemo’s link at Reply#69 is only 6 days old and they were protesting about a proposal by Medway Council, which doesn’t suggest they are about to move out.

Has anyone been past there in the last few days, or is anyone going to go past there and report back to us? :)

Regarding the premises on the other side of the Taste of China, it does look as if whatever they were using those for has been moved to Rainham, where Medway Hyundai is/was. Didn’t someone post some while back that it was still under the same name and I conjectured that Grays might be running it as a Sole Trader? Although I can’t imagine why they would want to do that.

Regarding KeithJG’s photo, unless someone recognises anybody, I don’t think we can date it closer than 1938 to 1955 – I’m inclined to go for nearer 1955.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2015, 15:57:38 »

Hi Peterchall ,
g                      Intriguing the word , will we get  to the bottom of this mystery?

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2015, 15:44:53 »
  HI  Del  interesting  the same  Impala or so it seems was driven by Don Gray   .......perhaps he loan it to Don  for  a test drive i definitely wa'nt seeing things.......... but thanks anyway for info.

KeithJG

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2015, 15:18:38 »
One of my best mates in Medway has had his own motor business most of his life and survival is what you know and not who!
It does look as though Grays have taken avoiding action because of the Kent online issue?
Having taken there Chatham phone number with them to Rainham? .........Good Luck to them.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2015, 21:58:13 »
I have tried emailing Gray’s again and got the same response:
There was a problem sending your email. Your email address may be incorrect (It isn’t – PC) or there may be a technical problem
So it looks as if they are off-line. Is that significant?

Regarding Ajemps posts – he PM’d me to say that he’d heard that Gray’s had gone out of business, and I suggested he post details here.

Two things come to mind:
1.   Gray’s in Chatham High Street featured in Kent-on-Line only 4 days ago (Reply#69).
2.   Gray’s original phone number - 01634 408408 – is now being used by Medway Hyundai at Rainham (see posts a while back). So is your source referring to that, Ajemp? Gray's High Street number is now 01634 840000

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2015, 21:19:14 »
  HI Peterchall,  i can remember Don  Gray  owning a Chevrolet impala  it was sivery blue , it had thick plastic fitted seat covers .      Don lived on the Maidstone road, but  i also recall  seeing  the same or simular car parked  at the four courners   a big house on the courner of Maidstone road opposite the church.......... there could'nt have been  two  of these  beautiful cars in Medway  could there?

Regarding the Chevrolet this was originally a company demonstrator run by Mr Blake of Chatham Motor Company which was at the corner of Railway Street where Wickes is now. He also lived at the 4 way junction up the Maidstone Road. I think the registration number was CKR150C or something close to that.  Mr Blake was the General Manager of CMC when I joined the company in 1965/66. I believe he was a member of staff who married the then owner, Fred Mannington's daughter. Presumably promotion followed some time after. Mr Blake used the car every day often with the hood down on sunny days. As he only lived up the road as it were and CMC had their own petrol pumps the fuel consumption probably didn't worry him. CMC were dealers for Vauxhall, Bedford and Chevrolet. I can't remember if they were ever Opel dealers. I do remember visiting both Grays and Bannisters regularly with my father who repaired motorcycles as a 'hobby' for his work mates from Maidstone and District Gillingham Depot where he was a bus driver for them.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2015, 20:22:25 »

Peter chall, he tells me there are no dealership  cars on site, just a selection  of vehicles.....and he thinks the company name begins with ( H)   
                                                       Thats all he knows.............

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2015, 20:00:13 »

Peterchall ,will contact my imformer asap and let you know .

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2015, 12:34:05 »
There is provision for contacting the company by email in the ‘Contact Us’ section of their website. I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do but in response to John Walker’s suggestion I have asked if they can tell us the date of the photo and who are the people in it, but got a message saying there was a problem sending my email.

I will try again later and will, of course, post if I get a response, but can I suggest that we don’t get KHF classed as a nuisance by Gray’s by other members trying the same :)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2015, 09:48:52 »
Would it be possible for a member living in the area to pop in and ask if there are any archive photos or documents?

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2015, 08:35:26 »
It is a legal requirement for the name of a private limited company to end with ‘Limited’ or ‘Ltd’, and for the name to appear on every premises it owns. There is no such name on the shop in that photo, unless small lettering over the door is sufficient – does anyone know? Also, the suffix is not on the sidecar, unless small lettering along the bottom is sufficient - again does anyone know?

Otherwise the evidence is that the photo (Reply#29) pre-dates Gray’s of Chatham being a company, so is 1955 at the latest, which accords with KeithJG’s post. Norman Gray was 36 that year and either of the two men on the left fits that description, but the two young men on  the right don’t fit any of the other known  directors – could they be just employees?

The photo in this link is larger – is it easier to recognise anyone?

http://www.graysofchatham.co.uk/about-us

KeithJG

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2015, 19:21:59 »
I still think that old photo has been doctored because i do remember that short chap on the left of the two and the taller gent rings a bell so although the shorter chap looks younger than i remember him it can only be about 10 years earlier which would make it 1955/56.

I bought my Lambretta from F. Bannister in August 1964 and the 156 D reg. was a few left of the older numbers which Kent County Council used up which was numbers before letters hence my number although 1964 was a "B" for most vehicles.

I part exchanged it for the Vespa GS160 at Grays in 1966 and i was always there then trying to sort out if i wanted the change and ok so it may seem easy to say but i do remember Doald Norman Gray who was born in 1959 being in the showroom looking after the scooter/motorbike section etc. checking the sales signs and cleaning. Of course he was thin just like myself as i was 18yrs and he was 16yrs and one does notice some one of your own age when out and about especially in a showroom where you are about to take the plunge and spend money you don`t have.

I remembered his face from the Kentonline link and his face is one to remember although of course now older but all the features are their that i do remember.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines