News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coal Yards  (Read 2398 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Coal Yards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 14:23:06 »
A photo of the once busy coal yard at Canterbury West Station mentioned earlier by S4.
(Photo credit to Paul Crampton)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:43:16 »
When I was a kid the "kitchen nuts" Mickleburgh mentioned were known locally arround Sittingbourne as "Coal Lloyds". . Probably a corruption of the chemical term  Colloid ,referring to compressed substances.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:15:10 »
There were several grades of coal, Steam, Coking and Domestic to name the three principals. Within each of these there were several grades again. I have in the past posted a chart that shewed the principle Coal Measures (seams) throughout the British Isles (I can't remember which thread) that gave the complete breakdown of what coal was good for where and the calorific, gas, clinker and ash levels. The conclusion that I could shew from this chart was that Betteshange 19,000's was the best Steam Coal in the UK, followed by Chislet with Tilmanstone producing good Domestic and Coking and Snowdon the best for Domestic.

As for Coal Yards how many remember the big yard at North Lane in Canterbury? This was on the site of the former Canterbury & Whitstable Railway terminal with the old station building being used as a mess room for the shunters and coal merchants. I used to cut through there on the way to and from school, I probably should not have but no one seemed to be bothered. Happy pre-HSE days......

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:11:46 »
Coal quality could vary a lot and just as industrial users selected what was best for their purposes (raising steam, etc) domestic users had a choice if they could afford it. Heat without excessive smoke or `sparking` was the issue. Generally speaking, the coal best used for an open hearth fire would not suit a water jacket boiler or a cooking range, coke often being the choice there. Also recall `kitchen nuts` which seemed to be formed of coal dust compressed into oval shapes.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 15:34:03 »
Can we please stop writing the titles in capital letters please.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
Coal Yards
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 15:24:02 »
 i know  there are not many coal yards  around these days , but i was intrigued by an old advert regarding types of coal...best coal 28s  per ton..seconds 27s per ton, best kitchen 26s per ton ,kitchen 25s per ton . what was the  difference?   the year was 1911.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines