News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Radio programmes  (Read 12936 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Old Radio programmes
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 18:51:34 »
mmitch. You are so right, very clever writers. Afraid that today, so called commedians think they have to swear a bit- or a lot- to be "funny".

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 09:33:51 »
Alastair Cooks "letter from America" went on for many years and was great to listen to. He died aged 95 I believe about a month after his final broadcast. Great voice and one of the all time great broadcasters.
AlanH.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:04 »
"By the light of a passing gas works" would be lost on today's non Goon generation.  :)
mmitch.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 15:01:01 »
Thank you, Signals - you're quite right, it was In Town Tonight. The mists of time have dimmed whatever memory is left. I still liked Our Day and Age, though.

Alastair

Offline johnham

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 10:20:57 »
How about....DICK BARTON SPECIAL AGENT........with Dick, Jock and Snowy.
Also the first serialisation of Day of the Triffids.....very scary being sent to bed because " it will give you
nightmares" then creeping downstais in the dark to sit outside the living room door and listen.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 08:43:15 »
Back in those days it was good fun with no smut. Mind you, half of what was said in fun then would not be allowed today.

I disagree with the smut comment, the double entendres and slang used by Kenneth Williams were a joy that completely went over the staid heads of the BBC.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 23:48:55 »
Back in those days it was good fun with no smut. Mind you, half of what was said in fun then would not be allowed today.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 23:34:07 »
Alastair,  the program was called "In Town Tonight" and the words were "Once again we stop the mighty roar of London's traffic to bring you news and views of those in town tonight". It was an early sort of current affairs program. Would you believe it, even though it was a radio program the announcer wore full evening dress. I well recall a young lady being interviewed as Annette Mills and her companion 'Muffin the Mule'; an act which has fallen foul of PC because of its connotations. Only the BBC could turn a delightful puppet into some thing murky.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 11:28:40 »
I remember Valentne Dyall but I can't remember the programme. Also Alistair Cooke's Letter from America. Does anyone remember Stuart Grenfell with a programme called Our Day and Age? Some of those were really good. It started with the sound of roaring traffic, a voice shouting 'Stop!' then quiet and the story started. At the end the Voice called out 'Carry on, London!'

Alastair

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 03:38:56 »
Hi all, my memories go back a little bit further than most of the broadcasts mentiond in Colin haggards
Excellent blog, how many of you can remember Garison theatre ,Valatine Dial The man in black,workers play time ,the family Dr half hour ,,Round the Fleet,and Alister Cooks Letter from America  .

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 23:21:53 »
My favourite is The Navy Lark, I have got over a hundred episodes. 

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 22:09:32 »
I find Radio 4 extra has all the old favorites, Quatermass the Goons, Kenneth Williams,Journey into Space. I listen daily.

Stuart...

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 21:46:14 »
I have a wonderfull set of 45  r.p.m CD's titled Favourite television and radio themes,purchased from a shop calld PastTimes,it has introductory music,plus snippets from most of the programs mentiond by fellow  members .cost about 4 recently .A great investment just for the nostalgia alone ., guys and gals put it on your Christmas wish list ,i promis you will not be disappointed .it has two discus .and first class reproduction.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 21:16:16 »
Just remembered, it was the Glum family with Jimmy Edwards, etc. Others were Itma with Tommy Handly & Ray's a Laugh with Ted Ray.        In the late 40's, when I was in the RAF, we had an illicit radio & listened to A.F.N. ( American Forces Network in Europe) late at night; I think their signature tune was Stan Kenton's Peanut Vendor.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 14:06:51 »
Refering back to my post no 4 on this thread.The Jungle ditties were Charlie Chester's Crazy Gang programme(not in the ITMA programme.)
A serial within the show was "Tarzan of the Tapes", featuring Stab-U the Elephant Boy and his regular order to his pachyderm,  "Git up there, Forsythe!" The scene was always set thus, "In the heart of the dreaded jungle of Janzibulla which is situated deep in the African province of Japonica . . .",
and everyone who ever heard it will remember the regular chant of the natives:

Down in the jungle, living in a tent,

Better than a prefab - no rent!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines