News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Misc. Sheppey historical items  (Read 2028 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CDP

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 828
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Misc. Sheppey historical items
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 15:35:31 »
AND yet more data.!.
     
     
     
     1868 OCT 28TH-11 O'CLOCK TWO "SWIFTS" WERE CARRIED AWAY BY THE WIND.ONE
     FELL IN ROAD INJURING A BOY, THE OTHER FELL INTO SAND ,BOLT UPRIGHT ,OWNED
     BY MR. ADAMS.
     1863 OCT 10TH-THE COPPERAS WORKS SOLD TO MR.THOMPSON OF LONDON ,SEE ALSO
     1868.
     1863 SEP 12TH-BARGE LOST AT SEA THE PROPERTY OF W.SKEY ESQ..LOADED WITH
     CHALK CONSIGNED TO MR.GREGORY ,LIME CARRIER OFF QUEENBOROUGH SPRUNG A LEAK
     ,THE CREW ESCAPED IN BOATS LOST AT SEA REACH.
     1862 OCT 4TH-AT JAMES ANSTEY 46 HIGH STREET,GUNPOWDER BLEW FITMENTS OUT
     .ALL WINDOWS BROKEN, PRISONER CHARGED. HAPPENED AT WESTERN END OF MILE
     TOWN.
     1865 MAR 22ND-SCOCLES FARM ,OWNED BY WILLIAM COVENEY,GRAIN,FARM IMPLEMENTS
     ,AND BUILDINGS LOST.   EST. DAMAGE 1,000.
     1869 OCT 16TH-PAYNES FARM KNOWN AS "PIGTAIL" FARM.BURNT 10.30 TILL 5 AM.
     1868 SEP 5TH-OLD HOOK FARM NEAR EASTCHURCH OCCUPIED BY ALFRED
     CHEESEMAN,OWNED BY JOSEPH TODD .BARNS, STABLES, GRANARY, ETC ALL LOST.
     1863 AUG 8TH-MR.MURTON A BAKER OF BLUE TOWN ,7 HOUSES DESTROYED BY FIRE
     ,THE PUB "STAR"WAS LOST.
     1868 SEP 26TH-GARRETTS FARM AT EASTCHURCH BURNT DOWN,MRS.ELIZABETH BENSTEAD
     LODGE PULLED DOWN, COW SHED ,AND STOCK LOST.
     1865 MAY 3RD-AT EASTCHURCH ,A FARM OWNED BY MR.MATSON TWO COTTAGES BURNT TO
     THE GROUND ,HALF A MILE FROM EASTCHURCH THATCHED ROOFS CAUGHT FIRE.
     1868 JUL 12TH-EAST END LANE FIRE ,FORGE AND WHEELWRIGHTS SHOP OF HENRY
     DENNIS OF BLUETOWN ,SHED REDUCED TO ASHES.
        ?  JUN 3RD-EAST LANE BLUE TOWN ,FOUR COTTAGES DESTROYED BY FIRE,OWNED BY
     BLOSS, WOOD, BURTON ,AND POLKINGHORNE.
     1868 AUG 29TH-CHURCH FARM NEAR PC.WARDEN OCCUPIED BY JOHN GOODWIN.THE
     NEAREST WATER WAS AT SHURLAND FARM 1/2 MILE AWAY,BARN, STABLES, WAGGON,
     CART , ETC ALL LOST .COST 1,500.
     1865 DEC 1ST-BEEHIVE BEERSHOP AND JB.JOHNSON GROCER BURNT DOWN 1,000
     DAMAGE.
     1911 OCT 21ST-SHEPPEY HISTORY,DRAWING BY BG. WADE QUEENBOROUGH CASTLE AND
     MOAT ;VERY GOOD ORIGINAL.
     1863 OCT 21ST-GUY FAWKES NIGHT IN 1838;VERY GOOD REPORT.
     1863 AUG 8TH-QUEENBOROUGH FAIR.
     1871 JUN 17TH-BYE-WAYS OF SHEPPEY.(ISLE OF SHIPPY)ELMLEY.  FACTORY, CENSUS,
     CHURCH.
         
     1871 JUN 24TH-BUCCANEER'S SECRET CAVE AT GULLS NEST .PYRITES. "SHEPPEY"
     CASTLE BUILT AT QUEENBOROUGH.SHIRENASSE. A DREAM OF SHEPPEY IN THE FUTURE.
     1862 NOV 29TH-COTTERELS ARE NOT THE BURIAL PLACE OF THE DANES.?
     1864 FEB 27TH-CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL ALMA ROAD ;THE COMPLETION OF THE NEW
     SCHOOL ROOM.
     1863 OCT 10TH-APPRENTICES ENGINEERING EXAMINATION.ADMISSION 15 - 16 YEARS
     NOW INSTEAD OF 13 YEARS 9 MONTHS AS AT PRESENT.
     1863 NOV 7TH-SMUGGLERS ,FLOTSAM,JETSAM,AND WILSAM ,SHEPPEY WAS ONCE A
     RESORT .BULLOCKS OFF SHIP NOW ON SHINGLE.
     1862 FEB 18TH-LITTLE MILL MILE TOWN SHEERNESS DESTROYED BY FIRE,ON MARCH
     8TH A FUND WAS STARTEDFOR THE OWNER .69 YEARS OLD.
     1864 JUL 2ND-QUEEN OF THE THAMES.A FEW DAYS AGO ,A VERY FINE BARGE OF 120
     TONS BURDEN ,THE PROPERTY OF WILLIAM KNIGHT OF RAINHAM WAS SUCCESSFULLY
     LAUNCHED FROM THE LOWER SHIP YARD OF MESSR.TAYLOR AND SON ,CROWN QUAY.THE
     WORKMEN,32 IN NUMBER WERE REGALED BY THE LIBERAL OWNER WITH ALE,PORTER
     CIDER,GINGER BEER AND BREAD AND CHEESE.
     1864 JUL 23RD-SHIP INN BLUE TOWN THE TOP ON FIRE.
     1862 FEB 18TH-STONES OR LITTLE MILL.TOP OF MILE TOWN.THE FIRE STARTEDIN THE
     STABLES CONNECTED TO THE MILL.THE MILL WAS BUILT IN 1810 AND WAS THE FIRST
     BUILDING ERECTED IN THAT PART OF THE TOWN.TOTAL VALUE 170.
     1865 SEP 26TH-HOLM PLACE FARM 1,500 LOSS, FIRE .STABLES,2 BARNS THE FARM
     BELONGS TO LORD HARRIS.
     1870 AUG 13TH-KENT ARCH. SOCIETY VISITS QUEENBOROUGH CASTLE AND THE
     CHURCH.MINSTER CHURCH AND EASTCHUCH CHURCH.
     
     ======================================================
     
     SHEPPEY BY- WAYS.
     1874 SEP 26TH-BARROWS BROOK,BUGSBY'S HOLE,DRAPERS POINT,GULLS NEST,
     1874 OCT 3RD-WARDEN CHURCH,VENISONS DINNER, FROG ISLAND,WARDEN.
     1874 OCT 10TH-LEYSDOWN.SHELLNESS.
     1874 OCT 17TH-HARTY,TREMSETH BRIDGE,BURROWS,CHURCH,THE LAST TRIAL BY BATTLE
     IN ENGLAND.
     OLD SHEPPEY.
     1875 AUG 7TH-NO.1 ABBEY, DANES, QUEENBOROUGH,BARROWS.
     ======================================================
     1911 DEC 30TH-WATERWORKS FELL DOWN 3 AM. MAY 1ST.1861
                   CONVICT SHIP ENTERED HARBOUR.OCT 3RD. 1864.
                   DRAWBRIDGE TO BLUETOWN.
                   CORKS IN SHEERNESS -FIGHTING.
                   QUEENBOROUGH FAIR IN AUGUST,IT MUST RAIN.
                   ABES G.MOTHER BURIAL.
     1879 APR 19TH-"SHEERNESS BY AN OLD SALT" PAID OFF IN "ECLIPSE" A SLOOP IN
     1844,PIER OPENED IN 1836 BY ADMIRAL FLEMING,MASONIC CLUB NEAR WATERMANS
     ARMS.
     1879 MAY 10TH-OLD DRAWBRIDGE ,CONVICTS GARDEN.
     1911 JAN 7TH-VERY GOOD REPORT ON QUEENBOROUGH.THE HISTORY OF THE COPPERAS
     WORKS .THE HISTORY OF THE CHEMICAL WORKS.COMMON LAND AT
     QUEENBOROUGH.BARROWS GATE WAS BOROUGHS GATE.
     
     1771 AT EASTCHURCH-BURIED A MAN FROM THE BEACH ,UNKNOWN.HE IS THE FIRST
     DROWNED CORPSE TO BE BURIED IN THE CHURCHYARD.ALL PREVIOUS BODIES WERE
     BURIED ON THE SHORE WHERE THEY WERE FOUND.  HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE THEORY
     OF GREY DOLPHIN AS CHEYNEY REFUSED TO ALLOW A BODY TO BE BURIED IN THE
     CHURCH AS ACCORDING TO THIS REPORT ,FROM THE CHURCH RECORDS,THEY NEVER
     WERE!!!          (C.D.PENNEY.)
     
       
      EASTCHURCH CENSUS.
     1891
      854 INHABITANTS    [452 MALE--402 FEMALE]
     
       180 HOUSES INHABITED   22 HOUSES EMPTY   
     ==================================================
     
     SHEPPEY'S NAME                                   1862 MAY 3RD.
     FOSSILS                                          1862 MAY 17TH.
     NORWOOD,THE HISTORY OF THE FAMILY AND ESTATE     1862 JUN 7TH.
     DE SHURLAND LEGENDS +GROSE'S VERSION.            1862 JUN 14TH.
     TOMB OF THE SPAINARD ,WARDEN AND OYSTERS         1862 JUN 21ST. 
     LEYSDOWN ,ST.AUGUSTINE                           1862 JUN28TH.
     Q/BORO CASTLE,GREET,TOWN HALL JAIL               1862 JUL 12TH.
     QUEENBOROUGH CHURCH                              1862 JUL 19TH.
     Q/BORO HOSPITAL,HULKS,SHEERNESS IN CHARLES 2 TIME1862 JUL 26TH.
     BANKS TOWN , SHEPPEY COURT,BANK,REV JAMES CHALK  1862 AUG 23RD.
     OLD Q.BORO FAMILIES,HALL BREEZE,KNEWSTUB         1862 AUG 23RD.
     
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 828
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Misc. Sheppey historical items
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 14:05:44 »
1911. MAR.25TH.-RE NEW SHEPPEY SEAL.
     
     1910.JUL23RD.-JESSUP DIED AGED 83 YEARS,HIS GRAND MOTHER REMEMBERED MILE
     TOWN -A PILE OF BRICKS ONLY,THERE WERE NO POLICEMEN IN THE DOCKYARD,ONLY A
     WOODEN FENCE AROUND THE DOCKYARD,SMUGGLING WENT ON,THERE WAS NO DOCKYARD
     TERRACE,BLUEHOUSES,NORTH CORK MILITIA HERE,FREAKS,PRESS GANG, HIS FATHER
     WAS A GUARD OF NAPOLEON,CANAL /MOAT WHY IT WAS CUT ETC.
     
     1911. APR 22ND.-OLD SHEERNESS ,VERY GOOD ORIGINAL.
     WATER BROUGHTR IN BARRELS,FIRST WELL DUG,NO MILE TOWN,BARRACKS, ALLEYS ON
     HULKS.
     
     1879. JAN 19TH.-SHEERNESS IN 1829.
     DRAINAGE ,GAS, WATER,FEVER, DOCKYARD ACREAGE,NO OF PILES, SIZE OF
     BASINS,SHIPS CLEANED IN 24 HOURS,CEMENT FACTORT,CAMBERDOWN CAUGHT FIRE IN
     1840 ,DETAILS OF GARRISON POINT,COASTGUARD STATIONS,CHURCHES AND SEATING
     POPULATION,4 DISSENTING MEETING HOUSE PLUS R.C.5 SUNDAY SCHOOLS,ONE
     INFANT.ONE NATIONAL AND ONE SCHOOL ON THE BRITISH SYSTEM,PRIVATE
     SCHOOLS,MECHANICS INSTITUTE.
     1911.OCT.14TH.-SHEERNESS OF 1862,SKETCH OF NEPTUNE TERRACE,CRIMEA 50 HOUSES
     IN UNITY STREET,NO CLUBS,ONLY MECHANICS INSTITUTE,OWN BREWERY BEHIND THE
     BREWERY TAP.
     
     
     CHARITIES OF QUEENBOROUGH-SOURCE;-SHEPPEY CHURCH MAGAZINE FEB.1984.
     
         STAMPS, EVANS, BAKER, KNEWSTUB, WEBBS, HOLLEYS, SHIPWRECKED GENTLEMEN.
     
     ========================================================
     1864.DEC 31ST.-A BARGE THE PROPERTY OF MR.VINCENT ABBEY FARM,MINSTER,WAS
     LAUNCHED FROM MR.BARGES'S BUILDING YARD AT QUEENBOROUGH,AFEW DAYS SINCE.IT
     IS THE SECOND VESSEL TO BE LAUNCHED WITHIN A FEW MONTHS. IN THE EVENING THE
     WORKMEN PARTOOK OF A SUMPTIOUS MEAL.
     ========================================================
     1864. NOV 26TH.- THE BARGE "EARL MACCLESFIELD"OWNED BY B & JOSEPH STONE OF
     UPNOR SUNK .SWAMPED.
     WILLIAM JARRETT CAPTAIN AGED 42 ,WIFE AND 5 CHILDREN WERE DROWNED.
     GEORGE F JARRETT 14 YEARS SAVED.
     ELIZABETH JARRETT 1 1/2 YEARS DROWNED.
     CHARLES JARRETT 4 YEARS DROWNED.
     MARY JARRETT DROWNED AGED 17 YEARS.
     EDWARD JARRETT AGED 12 SAVED.
     =======================================================
     1911 DEC 22ND.-LEGENDS OF SHEPPEY.
     SIR EDWARD BANKS A YORKSHIRE NAVVY.

     TRIAL BY BATTLE- PARRAMORE 1818.
     SMUGGLING.
     LOOPHOLES FOR GUNS AT NUTTS.
     EASTCHURCH CHURCH NO.1 LOST 1790 (BEFORE.
     EASTCHURCH CHURCH NO.2 LOST 1876?
     KING JAMES 2 AT KINGS HILL.
     DOUGLAS JERROD BORN IN SHEERNESS.
     EXCELLENT -4 PARAGRAPHS.
     ======================================================
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 828
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Misc. Sheppey historical items
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 19:36:54 »
THESE ARE ITEMS, PERHAPS FROM THE SISTER PAPER HELD IN THE LIBRARY,THAT I
     MAY, REPEAT MAY, HAVE OMMITTED TO INCLUDE SO FAR.!!!.
     
     
              NO.OF     POPULATION     SCHOOLS           FROM APRIL 5TH 1879.
              HOUSES.   1801  1831                       ALSO GIVEN;-RATEABLE
     Q/BORO    138        408   786       6               VALUE,ACREAGE,OWNERS,
     MINSTER  1439       5561  7983      46                  ETC.. ETC.
     LEYSDOWN   30         88   191       1             
     ELMLEY      3         21    29       /
     EAST/CH.  103        292   857       6
     HARTY       8         35    67       1
     ===================================================
     
     
     FROM S TIMES.1893 FEB 11TH.
     
     MINSTER(URBAN)          13,587
     MINSTER(RURAL)           1,307
     Q/BORO                987
     E/CHURCH              845
     L/DOWN                218
     WARDEN                 30
     HARTY                 125
     ELMLEY                217
     
     
     ====================================================
             
     JULY 29TH. 1871 -3,000 PEOPLE HAVE MOVED AWAY FROM THE ISLAND OVER THE LAST
     10 YEARS.
     DEC.1ST. 1877-18,000 PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND IN 1877.
     JAN 18TH.1879.-IN 1829 THERE WERE 7,983PEOPLE IN SHEERNESS ,WITH 800/900 IN
     THE DOCKYARD.
     ====================================================
     
     SHEERNESS TIMES 1881 MAY 7TH.
     MINSTER" INCLUDING OF COURSE SHEERNESS"
     2825 INHABITATED HOUSES IN MINSTER  103 WERE UNINHABITATED.
     7777 MALES TO 7539 FEMALES.
     1009 PEOPLE WERE OVER 60 YEARS OLD,(778 IN 1871.)
     
         CENSUS         1881      1871
         MINSTER        15,316    15,537
         E/CHURCH          958     1,013
         ELMLEY            205       204
         HARTY             157       131
         LEYSDOWN          196       244
         WARDEN             17        43
         Q/BORO            814       761
     
     ==================================================         
     
     IN 1821 THE VILLE OF SHEERNESS CONTAINED ONLY 58 DWELLINGS AND 817
     INHABITANTS.
     1893 JULY 4TH.-GRAVEYARD AT MINSTER ABBEY CLOSED BY ORDER OF COUNCIL .THE
     LAST 10 YEARS i.e.1884 TO 1894 THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF BURIALS WAS 31 1/5.
     THEY AGREED TO DEFER THE FINIAL DECISION FOR 6 MONTHS.
     ===================================================
   
     
     THE POPULATION -1845 KELLY OF KENT.
         SHEERNESS 7,000
         Q/BORO      634
         E/CHURCH  1,019               
         LEYSDOWN    310
         ELMLEY       42
         HARTY       117
     ===================================================
     1911 NOV 4TH.-VERY GOOD ORIGINAL CHURCH HISTORY OF EASTCHUCH CHURCH ,AND
     ALL VICARS.
     1874 OCT 31ST.-A STORY OF QUEENBOROUGH WELL (2 WELLS FOR 800 PEOPLE.)
     IN 1723 GEORGE 1ST. WAS KING ,SHIRENASSE WAS A TOWN CONSISTING OF THREE
     LITTLE STREETS.A SURVEY OF QUEENBOROUGH CASTLE WELL.
     1864. DEC 31ST.-OF 2,200 HOUSES TO BE SUPPLED WITH WATER 1,780 ARE NOW
     CONNECTED TO THE MAINS.THE SIZE OF THE WATER TANK IS GIVEN.
     
     1867. MAY 6TH.-JAMES WICKER ,DIED AT SHEERNESS ,AGED 86.HE WAS THE LAST
     SURVIVING RESIDENT PERSONALLY CONNECTED WITH THE MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.
     
     1886. MAY 8TH.-THE HISTORY OF THE DOCKYARD CHURCH FROM 1667 ,2 PARAGRAPHS.
     1874. SEP.5TH.-HISTORY OF SHEERNESS-ON 20TH NOV 1683 HM. KING CHARLES 2ND.
         PURCHASED OF EDWARD VERNON ESQ. 23 ACRES OF SALT FRESH FARM LAND AND   
          17 ACRES OF SALT MARSH LAND AND BEACH LAND .THERE WAS AT THIS TIME NO 
          HOUSES OR BUILDINGS ON THIS 40 ACRES.BEFORE THIS , IN 1670 A FORT HAD
     BEEN BUILT ON ADJOINING LAND --ETC ETC ETC .
     1862. SEP 6TH.-A LETTER FROM AN OLD RESIDENT,REPLY SEP 13TH.
     HE WAS BORN IN SHIP SANDWICK IN 1774 -BULL LANE-DOCKYARD WORKHOUSE-COCKING
     THE TAILOR,CONNOR THE SHOEMAKER,CRAIG THE BARBER.-LOWER CAMBER WAS THE
     MARKET-HOURS OF WORK GIVEN-1801 TO 1806 THE REGIMENTS WERE HERE-VISIT OF
     NELSON-HMS.ANTELOPE LAUNCHED-26 PUBLIC HOUSES NAMED-ADMIRALTY ABOLISHED-THE
     WORKHOUSE WAS PULLED DOWN TO ENLARGE THE BASIN AND MINSTER WAS GIVEN MONEY
     TO CARE FOR THEM.
     
     1868.NOV 14TH.-SHEERNESS YEARS AGO.GRASS IN THE STREETS ,BOATS DOWN THE
     MAIN ROAD,INTERESTING 3 PARAS,BLUE HOUSES AND CHIPS,RE OPENING OF THE NEW
     PUBLIC ROOMS.
     
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline CDP

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 828
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Misc. Sheppey historical items
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 14:29:34 »
 
     THESE ARE ITEMS, PERHAPS FROM THE SISTER PAPER HELD IN THE LIBRARY,THAT I
     MAY, REPEAT MAY, HAVE OMMITTED TO INCLUDE SO FAR.!!!.
     
     
              NO.OF     POPULATION     SCHOOLS           FROM APRIL 5TH 1879.
              HOUSES.   1801  1831                       ALSO GIVEN;-RATEABLE
     Q/BORO    138        408   786       6               VALUE,ACREAGE,OWNERS,
     MINSTER  1439       5561  7983      46                  ETC.. ETC.
     LEYSDOWN   30         88   191       1             
     ELMLEY      3         21    29       /
     EAST/CH.  103        292   857       6
     HARTY       8         35    67       1
     ===================================================
     
     
     FROM S TIMES.1893 FEB 11TH.
     
     MINSTER(URBAN)          13,587
     MINSTER(RURAL)           1,307
     Q/BORO                987
     E/CHURCH              845
     L/DOWN                218
     WARDEN                 30
     HARTY                 125
     ELMLEY                217
     
     
     ====================================================
             
     JULY 29TH. 1871 -3,000 PEOPLE HAVE MOVED AWAY FROM THE ISLAND OVER THE LAST
     10 YEARS.
     DEC.1ST. 1877-18,000 PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND IN 1877.
     JAN 18TH.1879.-IN 1829 THERE WERE 7,983PEOPLE IN SHEERNESS ,WITH 800/900 IN
     THE DOCKYARD.
     ====================================================
     
     SHEERNESS TIMES 1881 MAY 7TH.
     MINSTER" INCLUDING OF COURSE SHEERNESS"
     2825 INHABITATED HOUSES IN MINSTER  103 WERE UNINHABITATED.
     7777 MALES TO 7539 FEMALES.
     1009 PEOPLE WERE OVER 60 YEARS OLD,(778 IN 1871.)
     
         CENSUS         1881      1871
         MINSTER        15,316    15,537
         E/CHURCH          958     1,013
         ELMLEY            205       204
         HARTY             157       131
         LEYSDOWN          196       244
         WARDEN             17        43
         Q/BORO            814       761
     
     ==================================================         
     
     IN 1821 THE VILLE OF SHEERNESS CONTAINED ONLY 58 DWELLINGS AND 817
     INHABITANTS.
     1893 JULY 4TH.-GRAVEYARD AT MINSTER ABBEY CLOSED BY ORDER OF COUNCIL .THE
     LAST 10 YEARS i.e.1884 TO 1894 THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF BURIALS WAS 31 1/5.
     THEY AGREED TO DEFER THE FINIAL DECISION FOR 6 MONTHS.
     ===================================================
   
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines