News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Velo Cycling Club  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Medway Velo Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 21:44:52 »
AlanH. Yes indeed, NationalCyclingUnion members ( affiliated to the RoadTimeTrialsCouncil). That went back many,many years- well before gears were invented. Even the early Tour de France was riden with fixed wheels, altho' when they got to coming down the mountains, they would reverse the wheel as it had a free wheel sprocket on the other side. Time trials, under RTTC rules- altho' there wasn't a rule that said "only fixed"-, were always ridden on fixed- except by me, 'cos I had ( the only one in the club) a Simplex gear- & the choice of what gear to use varied on the length of the T.T.( 10,25,30,50,100miles,12hours& 24hours)& the individual, some favouring a high gear, others were " twiddlers"! Before the war, most T.T. racing was done in drab clothing ( one of our club in the late 40's still had, & rode in, black tights & long sleeve black shirt) so that they wouldn't be noticed so much & bring the wrath of " do gooders" down on "racing cyclists"! The Cyclist Touring Club were just that, so either had fixed or Sturmey Archer 3 speed, or even a single speed free wheel, for their leisurely outings.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:11:41 »
I think from my fading memory the fixed wheel fanatics were mostly members of the NCU (National Cyclists Union) or CTU (Cyclists Touring Union)  or something. Whatever, whenever we saw them when out on our usual Sunday club run we used to shout out "Union bums" and pedal off laughing as they could never catch us except in a short sprint.
I can still remember the fixed wheel lot having to go down hills so slowly because their legs couldn't go round fast enough ....  :)
All good fun.
AlanH.   

Offline editorsfoot

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 20:09:11 »
Many thanks for the replies. Eventually I did find the photo; it was under a topic on the Medway Wheelers, one of the predecessor clubs. Thanks for the other comments; as someone who came to cycling in my teens in the 1980s I am always interested in the history of the politics of the sport with the NCU and BLRC issues. fortunately today we compete in all sorts of competitions.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:50 »
editorsfoot. You may find a pic of Richard Morphett riding his bike on the factory etc site. He worked for Wingets Strood in the foundry and I worked at BK over the river.
AlanH.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 15:48:53 »
editorsfoot, Sorry, I don't have photo's of Velo, I was in the Medway Road Club-1948/49. But,maybe of interest to you, my cousin Eric Smith, who lived in Chatham was a founder member of the Velo. BLRC did mass-starts, etc. & wore bright clothing AND had gears!, hence a break away group of cyclists in Medway. He was in the Dover- London road race, must have been about 1947? on Easter Monday, ended up in hospital with dehydration! Later, he emigrated to Melbourne, Australia & I lost touch. I have spoken with one of his sons recently, his dad died about 15 years ago( would have been born in 1927 & was very tall, 6'4" & thin). 

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:00 »
The club was known as Rochester Velo Club Olympic back in the late 50s early 60s when I was a member. There is a pic of Richard Morphett on here somewhere ...both him and his elder bro were members as were myself and my elder brother. Clubhouse was the old village hall in Borstal.
Good luck.
AlanH.

Offline editorsfoot

• Appreciation 2
Medway Velo Cycling Club
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 14:51:42 »
I have recently taken on the position of maintaining the website of the Medway Velo Cycling Club, as such I am wondering if, by chance, anyone has any pre 2000 pictures of people riding for the club I could use on the website. I know I have seen one photo on the forum but a quick search doesn't bring it up. This is in addition to asking a couple of the senior members of the current club as I am hoping some 'hidden gems' might appear. Many thanks.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines