News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3. Force-landed Manston 27 November 1940  (Read 2984 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline conan

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1104
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 238
Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3. Force-landed Manston 27 November 1940
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:05 »
Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3. Werk number 4101, "Black 12".
The aircraft was being flown by Leutnant Wolfgang Teumer of 2/JG 51 when it was damaged by Flt Lt George P Christie DFC of No. 66 Squadron RAF.
Teumer then made a wheels up landing at RAF Manston.

There is a detailed history of the aircraft @ http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/78-AF-624-Bf109E-4101.pdf

© IWM (E(MOS) 1225) Captured Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3, DG200, in flight while serving with No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight. Formerly 'Black 12' of 2/JG51, this aircraft force-landed at Manston, Kent, on 27 November 1940, after being attacked by Supermarine Spitfires of No. 66 Squadron RAF over the Thames Estuary.
After repair at the Royal Aircraft Establishment it was delivered to Rolls-Royce Ltd at Hucknall in February 1941 for engine performance tests. On 8 February 1942 it was passed to the Controller of Research and Development at Hatfield for propeller tests before going on to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down, and, in March 1942, to No. 1426 Flight at Duxford and later Collyweston. In 1943, DG200 was put into storage, eventually moving to St Athan in 1969 for refurbishment. Once restored to its wartime paint scheme, it moved to the Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon in 1976, where it is presently on display in the Battle of Britain Hall. DG200 is seen here being flown without its cockpit canopy, which was removed (and never replaced) while the aircraft was at Hucknall to enable Wing Commander J H Heyworth, a Rolls-Royce test pilot who was very tall, to fit into the cockpit.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines