Notes from The Faversham Farmers Club and its members
On June 21st 1927 The Faversham Farmers Club will keep its 200th Anniversary.
Most of the members were yeoman farmers and those connected with the land,
Some of the farms owned or held by members of the Club are mentioned in Doomsday .
Had registers been made compulsory in 1066 many of the members could probably have been traced back to that time .
In the 18th Century very many christian names of men and women were the surnames of their mothers and before 1800 only had three members had more than one christian name .
The old Manor Rolls from which I have obtained much information are somrtimes written in appalling Latin.
From 1727 till the year 1836 no less than 35 times the office of Mayor of Faversham was filled by members of the Club.
John Clough , Clerk, was the only member who was a Parson but seven members were Medical men and six or more were Attorneys and Solicitors
The histories of the big houses and their owners can be found in Hansted and other Histories of Kent .
The original notes from which this book has been written will be put in the bank with other Club records .Many references not noted in this book and some more extensive pedigrees will be found amongst these .
This volume contains notes of most of the old Yeoman families near Faversham ,but there are noteworthy names which do not occur in this list of members of the Club .Amongst the latter are the names Foord , Blaxland , Ruck , Lake ,Tassell , Maxted , Bensted , Roper , and Lade who wsere important yeoman farmers in the district.
THE FIRST MEETING .
On June 21st 1727 ten days afte the death of George the First there met certain Yeomen ,Farmers and friends , members of the newly formed Faversham Farmers Club
The list of members is headed Giles Hilton and from this it may be assumed that he as the originator of he Club or was its senior member.There were twelve original members
Giles Hilton , Giles Hilton (Jnr)) , Edward Ward , Thomas Smith , John Law (Snr ) , Thomas Bunce , Peter Greenstreet , John Simmons , William Creed , John Smith , Edward Weller , (11??)
The original idea in forming the club was that there should be 12 members and that each member should entertain the others at his house once a year .but the Club was too popular and during the latter part of the year of its foundation John Barnes , John Clough ,,Clerk in Holy Orders and Isaac Jones were admitted members .
John Hilton the second son of Giles entertained Hasted .presumably all the original members were there Giles Hiltons eldest son ,Giles who died the following year at the early age of 25 Edward Ward from Luddenham , Thomas smith and his two sons , Thomas and John from Faversham , John Law the father in law of the host from New House , Thomas Bunce a near neighbour from Town Place in Throwleigh Parish , Peter Greenstreetfrom Sole Street House , a member of that family which owned land from Bapchild to Selling , John Simmons yeoman of Davington who married Sarah Blaxland and afterwards went to Queen Court Ospringe , William Creed of Langton in Graveney , which he inherited from his father in law , Daniel Underdowne when he married the only daughter , Ann ,and lastly Captain Edward Weller the Brewer from the corner of West Street next the Beare