News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burton Lester and his Prairie Pony Dixie- Empire Theatre  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Burton Lester and his Prairie Pony Dixie- Empire Theatre
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 22:07:02 »
RJS, I have just replied to your message to me before I read this.  In my original post I was mentioning the 2 LITTLE Shetland? ponies which actually pulled the Pumpkin coach for Cinderella. I cannot truthfully say I remember a larger 'single' one, but then I can`t remember much more about the production although I was about 10/11 at time but ( dare I say it?) Pantomimes even then 'switched me off'.

Offline RJS18

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 15:56:39 »
I've been doing some more research and believe the official name of the act was 'Horse-sense'. It would have been around 1945/46 at the Empire Theatre, Chatham.

Offline RJS18

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 19:10:54 »
Yes I have seen both of those thank you.
I know Burton was involved in other acts such as Burton Lester's Midgets and also appeared in Cinderella during the late 1940s/ early 1950s in Chatham. Maybe Dixie was involved in one of these acts

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960

Offline RJS18

• Appreciation 0
Burton Lester and his Prairie Pony Dixie- Empire Theatre
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 16:30:05 »
I am currently doing some research for my Grandad's 80th Birthday.
In the early 1950s he looked after Dixie in the stables of the Five Bells Pub, Rochester, which at the time was run by his aunt. Dixie was part of an act called 'Burton Lester and his Prairie Pony Dixie' performing at the Empire Theatre, Chatham.
I am trying to gather any information about this act for him. Burton's bother was Harry Lester who also had an act called 'Harry Lester and his Hayseeds' but I am unsure whether Burton was part of this act.
Does anyone remember seeing the act or have anymore information about Dixie?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines