News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sisters Deaths, The Brook, Chatham  (Read 2247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Re: Sisters Deaths, The Brook, Chatham
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 19:11:17 »
That really is a sad tale!

Offline Lyn L

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1159
  • Appreciation 85
Re: Sisters Deaths, The Brook, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:27 »
What a sad end !
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7430
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Sisters Deaths, The Brook, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:27 »
Sisters’ Tragic Grief – The Telegraph Wednesday, 17th February, 1909

Surrounded by money and food.

Some excitement was caused at Chatham on Saturday, when it, became known that two elderly maiden sisters had been found dead in their house, after the door had been forced by the police, on being told by neighbours that no answer could be obtained to knocks.
Sarah Ann Hymess, aged about'80, and Nelly IHymess, 75, unmarried sisters had lived for 16 years at 51 the Brook, Chatham, a busy thoroughfare in the poorer part of the town, with electric cars passing the door between Luton and the dockyard. They occasionally did dressmaking, and had living with them for some years a nephew named Frederick Stanley, a skilled labourer in the dockyard, earning 28s. a week. He died on 1st December from yellow jaundice, at the age of 54, and from that day the sisters appeared to have pined over their loss. Mrs. Harris, who lives in Miller's Court in the rear of 51 The Brook, on Saturday told a representative of “Lloyd's News" that for some months past she had seen the Mlisses Hymess daily executing little errands for them and helping in various ways. “They were very eccentric women," she said “and were never seen about. Since the death of their nephew, they never seemed to hold up or to have the heart to eat, although they had plenty of money and plenty of food. The house, too was comfortably furnished.
“I was the last Person to see them alive. That was on Tuesday evening, when I fetched them a pint of ale and a quartern of rum for the supper. On Wednesday and again on Thursday I knocked without getting an answer, and then on Friday evening we thought it was a case for the police.”
“I went to the station and saw Inspector Jones," said Mr. Harris, taking up the story. "He sent an officer along, a ladder was procured, and soon after 8 we made an entry through the front bedroom window on the first floor. There we found both the sisters dead, the eldest in her nightdress in bed, and the younger on her back on the floor.
"There can be no doubt that they pined away after the nephew died and stinted themselves with food, for they looked painfully thin. In the house were found bread, meat, and eggs, and several, sums of money, including £10 or £12 in a box on the mantelpiece in the bedroom where they died, 37s. in silver in a box among some clothes, half a sovereign in a jug, £3 odd in a hot water jug, a number of threepenny bits in a needlecase, and 9 ½d on the mantelpiece.  In addition there was a Post Office Savings Bank book showing a deposit of £200. These sums must have represented the savings of themselves and their nephew, and money from his clubs when he died."
In addition to these sums, the police on Sunday discovered over 200 sovereigns in a tin box under the stairs.
At the inquest on Monday, it was stated that the house was 'filthy, and that the dead women were dirty, insufficiently clad, and emaciated. According to medical evidence, death was due to want of proper food, accelerated by cold, and a verdict was returned accordingly.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines