News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AA Port Office, Dover  (Read 942 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: AA Port Office, Dover
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:01:44 »
When I was office messenger for Townsend Car Ferries around 1968/1971, I often had to collect and drop off items at this AA office. I believe its manager was the husband of the secretary to the late Mr. Wickenden, the managing director of Townsends. Wasn't that building Southern TV's local studio at one time?

Offline Keith

• Appreciation 0
AA Port Office, Dover
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 19:48:29 »
Hello All ,
          Archaeological excavations in the St James area of Dover continue (Day 186).  We are presently looking at the site of the old Automobile Association building (later P&O offices) at the junction of Russell Street (now closed for good) and Townwall Street.  We have a small public viewing area off Townwall Street, so do drop in for a look.

The site is deep with a massive build up of structures ranging in date from c.1850 back to c.1075. Everything was swept away after the War, of course, when a completely new layout for the town was planned.  Amongst the new buildings was the AA port office which was later taken over by P&O.  In order to complete my site history, I would like to include the date that the AA building was first erected. I have a photo of 1973 and it was there then.  Can anyone tell me when it was first built?

Regards,
Keith

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines