News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Auxiliary OB Near Ash  (Read 2028 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 79
Re: Auxiliary OB Near Ash
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 20:01:20 »
The main training base for the Auxillaries was at Coleshill house in Oxfordshire,there's a history here

http://www.coleshillhouse.com/ghq-coleshill.php

this section will be of interest concerning the secret bases

http://www.coleshillhouse.com/bunkers.php
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline simonmallett

• Appreciation 0
Auxiliary OB Near Ash
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 21:01:48 »
Living and growing up in Woodnesborough, there were few places not explored, one of them was what I now know was an Auxiliary base at Ringleton (or Ringlemere) . It is on private land and now fenced off.  When I and my mates played there, the owners of Ringleton Manor were happy for us kids to roam.
Latitude   51.26792
Longitude   1.29268
The base is immediately next to what used to be Ash Radar station, now a secure data store. We would access the underground base, which was in the middle of a small wood on the side of a slope through what I remember as a the main tunnel that went in to two concrete lined underground rooms. Immediately through the rooms was a vertical shaft with an iron ladder going up maybe 10 feet. This took you to the Radar Station boundary fence.  Also from the 1st of the two rooms was a long pipe at a slight angle that could be crawled up, I guess an emergency exit. For kids back in the 1960s and early 70s a fantastic den. The iron ladder was well rusted then and I remember there were missing steps.
Again, as a kid, I remember rumour had it that Ringleton Manor was where agents or maybe auxiliaries were trained.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines