News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Belgian Refugees WW1  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Sevenoaksww1

• Appreciation 0
Re: Belgian Refugees WW1
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 15:07:56 »
Thanks for all the replies so far, especially links, photos and family stories. I find this part of the war at home fascinating and will carry on researching. Especially interested in any refugees who stayed and married.

Thanks again

Matt

Ps if anyone can help me with the verification questions for posting I'd be grateful! I don't know where to find the first and last names of is site...?

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 22:13:34 »
Folkestone During the War (1914-18), available as a free down load @ http://archive.org/details/folkestoneduring00carliala, has a chapter on Belgian refugees. The book was published just after the First World War and this does colour the text.

There are a series of photos on the Imperial War Museums website showing Dutch workers at Vickers Ltd Dartford. The Netherlands were neutral during the First World War, so are the men and women in fact from the Dutch-speaking Flemish part of Belgium?
Any thoughts?

Photos 1918.
© IWM (Q 27790) A Dutch worker operating a tool machine at Vickers Ltd, Dartford, Kent.

© IWM (Q 27785) A group of Dutch metal workers housed in Vickers Hostel, Dartford, Kent.

© IWM (Q 27789) The kitchen staff of a Vickers Ltd hostel, the majority of whom were Dutch, Dartford, Kent.

More photos @http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=Dartford&items_per_page=50 (Mixed in with other items)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 22:22:00 »
Slightly off topic.

My maternal grandfather was Belgian, his family came from Liège. The city of Liège bore the brunt of the opening days of WWI. His father, my great grandfather, following the fall of the city became a member of the resistance group in the region. Realizing the danger he had put his family in, he sent his wife and children over the Dutch border and on to Amsterdam.
At some point (I think towards the final years of the war) following him being captured and sprung from German hands on more than one occasion, the British decided he knew to much to risk him falling into German hands again so he was smuggled out of Belgium to England.
Quite how the rest of the family got from Holland to England I've no idea.

My Great grandfather received medals certainly from Belgium and I think also from France for his efforts behind  the lines.

At the outbreak of the second world war he volunteered to go behind the lines in Belgium again. But to his disappointment he was deemed too old to be parachuted in.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 14
!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 18:26:32 »

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:37 »
There is an eyewitness account of events surrounding the first arrivals of Belgian refugees at Folkestone late 1914 and dealing with them prior to dispersal to other parts of the country.
    `The Recollections of Henry Webb`  (pub The Omnibus Society, 2015) ISBN 9781909091061

Offline Sevenoaksww1

• Appreciation 0
Belgian Refugees WW1
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 21:29:22 »
Hi

Wondering if anyone else has researched Belgian refugees in Kent during WW1?

Interested in Sevenoaks and district in particular but also anyone researching elsewhere in Kent

http://sevenoaksww1.org/2016/02/13/belgian-refugees-in-sevenoaks/

Thanks

Matt

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines