News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brickmaking in the Medway Area  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
Re: Brickmaking in the Medway Area
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 14:18:04 »
Thank you lutonlad, that's very helpful!

About a year ago I noticed that the actual wooden gate was missing, and a few days later there was a huge pile of earth in it's place, stretching the width of the opening. I had wanted to have a look to see what was over there, but as so much effort had gone into blocking the entrance I had second thoughts about nosing around in case I would have been trespassing.

If curiosity gets the better of me I will go and have a look, and I'll make sure I take my camera so that I can post the pics on the forum. I'll also take a dog lead and collar so that I can say I'm looking for my 'lost dog' if I get apprehended!  :)

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 22:02:07 »
They are not visible from the road. From the Waggon going up Pear Tree Lane about 200 yds on the right is an old gate, over the gate and to the left. I have not been there for years, so good luck. There used to be some old kilns and railway lines. On the other side of the road is a fairly new house, this was built on part of the old workings, the chimney was there in the 1970s. Hope this helps. 
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 13:28:21 »
Where are the remains, lutonlad? I use Pear Tree Lane twice a day going to and from work; are the remains visible from the road, or is a more in-depth investigation required?  :)

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 21:53:34 »
Great story, thanks for posting.  There is still some remains of brickmaking in Pear Tree Lane, Chatham.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:40 »
Fascinating, thank you. I  read the whole report.

Offline AdrianPearce

• Appreciation 1
Brickmaking in the Medway Area
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:55 »
Readers may be interested in the following description of brickmaking.

http://shropshirehistory.com/misc/brickmaking.pdf

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines