News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WW2 Telephone Exchange  (Read 4466 times)

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Re: WW2 Telephone Exchange
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 21:09:10 »
Cheers Bilgerat
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:26:46 »
Thanks Bilgerat :)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 11:43:47 »
If Kyn doesn't mind - the Dockyard Library is in the Historic Dockyard. It's free to use it but entry is by appointment only. Call the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust on (01634) 823800 and ask to speak to the Librarian to make an appointment. The Library itself is in the Anchor Wharf Storehouse, above the Museum opposite the Commissioners House.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 11:36:29 »
AdrianPearce -

Great pics there my friend. I'm guessing the wall that can be seen is the boundary wall with Dock Road looking at the tower block that's visible. If so that location would be the historic part as opposed to the commercial port side at No 3 basin. I worked on the commercial side in the mid eighties onwards at the point the Navy had moved out and it was starting the transition to becoming commercial. Fascinating times exploring all the old buildings but sad also seeing the demolition of many to make way for boring modern warehouses. Still the area needed the jobs after the abandonment by the naval establishment.

Kyn -

Where is the Dockyard library you made mention of?

nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 19:31:33 »
Welcome to the site AdrianPearce, you were lucky to get a chance to see these!  It looks like quite a large complex, I assume they were not destroyed/infilled and only entrances sealed?

I have been sent a couple of images from when it was in use but due to copyright am unable to post these, for those interested a trip down to the dockyard library and a chat with the volunteers in the library will probably get you a chance to see these.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 14:06:32 »
Not in Kent but here's a link to another underground WW2 telephone exchange

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/area_8_telephone_exchange_burlington_site3_gallery.shtml?1

Whoops made a mistake there, the exchange is actually a cold war one, not WW2, sorry.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline blade1

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 14:01:39 »
These are good photos.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 14:03:26 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:58:31 »
For a short period in 1984 when the Dockyard was transitioning from MOD ownership to Historic Trust ownership it was possible to access this telephone exchange. Myself and a-n-other descended into it and found it almost complete. In fact so complete that my friend joked about 'last one out turn off the lights!' He then proceeded to press the green ON button on the air pumps and lo and behold they started to turn! The power supply was still on!! Most of the recoverable telephone equipment ended up being recycled for display in the ARP Centre under Fort Amherst.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 07:58:45 »
What fascinating pics.  Thanks for posting them.
DTT

AdrianPearce

WW2 Telephone Exchange
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:09:55 »
In July 1989, myself and Rod Le Gear were asked to investigate a "hole" that had appeared during building work at the dockyard. It was found to be an underground WW2 telephone exchange. When it went into disuse, the equipment was stripped out and the entrance sealed. A survey was carried out (see attached photos).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines