News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Olantigh Nurseries , Wye  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Re: Olantigh Nurseries , Wye
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 15:06:23 »
Many thanks for the time you have spent looking for me, it's much appreciated . It's a very interesting aspect and now will deserve a visit in the coming months.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Online davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 14:34:09 »
While hunting through all of my books on Wye, I was beginning to give up hope of finding much detail of the history of the house itself and its landscape. Most mention the phases of rebuilding and then proceed to go into great detail of the individuals themselves but not how they changed the landscape. When I picked up my last Wye history book I very nearly gave up looking, as it jumps straight into lengthy potted histories of numerous individuals apparently not making any more than a passing reference to Olantigh house itself. Flicking to the end of the chapter I discovered about a dozen paragraphs which give a little detail about the house and landscape.

"John Sawbridge, the Lord Mayor, completely transformed the old Tudor house between 1762 and 1767.......

The new house was large and impressive, rectangular of red brick with stone dressings. A handsome portico of four ionic columns were set into the front, which now faces north-east*........The grounds were newly laid out and a considerable amount of planting was done, including the Mount. Possibly, the lake and island were formed around this period. Later plantings included the Junipers on the Downs escapement, established to celebrate the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.

When the Georgian house was built, the kitchen gardens, previously situated opposite the present front door, were moved away from the frost pocket down by the river to Little Olantigh where the soil was better. This unusual circular walled garden, in the centre of which a strange echo can be heard, had a sundial dated 1724, with Sawbridge arms on it. Generations of expert gardners produced supplies for the house from these gardens, of whom John Bond in the early part of the twentieth century was a notable example.
There is now a thriving nursery garden within the old walls, run by Michael Twyman and his wife, who are the fourth generation of the family to work at Little Olantigh......"

*Elsewhere in the same book I read that the tudor house faced the Stour ie broadly westerly.

Burnham. P., & De Saxe, M.(eds), 'A New History of Wye' Wye Historical Society 2003  pp64-65

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:56:16 »
Thank you Davpott,
I'll await any info you might find. :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Online davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 22:21:59 »
I've never noticed that before.

Without a doubt it would have been connected to Olantigh house. An old map here  http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.1979&lon=0.9524&layers=176  gives a little bit of detail of how it and the landscape related to the main house.

I'll try and remember to have a look through my books on Wye and see if I can come up with any more information tomorrow.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
Olantigh Nurseries , Wye
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 18:26:52 »
Does anyone know any history of Olantigh Nurseries, Wye. It has a huge circular wall around it. Was it connected to the owners of Olantigh House (or Olantigh Towers) as sometimes referred to ?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines