News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Constable's Tower  (Read 3716 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Constable's Tower
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 09:53:45 »
Many thanks for that information bmacm.I recall Canon's Gate caponier being in a bit of a dodgy state too. I believe there is a covered shaft in the ditch close to C.T. which has a tunnel connected to a shaft on the other side of Constable's Bastion. I found this shaft as the wooden cover had rotted away and fallen down the shaft. A couple of Forum lads had a look years later but earth down the shaft had blocked access.

Offline bmacm

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 18:42:33 »
I inquired about access but they are reluctant to because of the requirements. The only access right now is down a shaft across from the tower. Even though there are steel rungs it is a long drop and climbing /safety gear would be required. There was a survey done in 1992 that showed some of the flooring and joists were rotten. Some of the floor is missing on the top level. At that time the staircase between the middle & topfloor was sealed and access was only via a hatch in the upper floor.

St Mary's Tower in Constables Garden has had a concrete plug put in to seal access from the moat.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:35 »
Nice photos! Are there any photos of the inside of the caponier below the tower and drawbridge? A quick search didn't find any. I seem to remember that the ditch entrance was always kept locked in the 1950s and 1960s.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 15:02:34 »
Some internal shots:

cliveh

Offline bmacm

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:04:33 »
Holiday lets was one idea. Corporate retreat was another as well as a cafe/restaurant. With the declining goverment support I think they are looking at something that will generate revenue.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 22:22:09 »
When you say public venue, doesn't that mean holiday lets?

Offline bmacm

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 18:29:34 »
With the Brigadier moving to Chatham last year the tower has now been turned over to EH. It's future use/development is being considered with a possible public venue. Prior to the conservators doing their research inside I had the opportunity to go through and photograph the place. A lot of history behind those doors.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Constable's Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 21:42:33 »
A few external shots...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines