News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Identify the Pub  (Read 2349 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Identify the Pub
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 19:19:00 »
Originally built in 1541,
 Started to be used as an ale house in the mid 1700s.
It was called The "Chequers" and renamed "TheTickled Trout " in 1987. It is a Grade II listed building. .

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 15:38:47 »
Found it.

I thought I'd have a look through an old book. "Inns of Kent" by G.M. Rainbird published 1948. On the cover is the picture below (The picture I've used is from inside the book).

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 15:06:23 »
Afraid I can't help with identity of pub; am intrigued though by the 3 very large & high chimneys behind. A friend of mine in 1947 ( Bill Mercer) lived in a pub in Mereworth. He collected a whole series of metal pub signs ( about 2" x 21/2") issued by Whitbread. One very interesting was " The Startled Saint" at West Malling. A Saint with hands aloft & eyes wide, with two or three Spitfires circling the rim of his halo. I wonder if it's still there?

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 19:44:04 »
  :)  He would have loved to see this collection - there's even some Medway pubs that he didn't have in his files.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 19:42:42 »
This may not be much help as I cannot identify the pub, but that looks like an old M&D bus timetable on the far right of the photo.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 19:40:51 »
Shame, if Roy Murrant was still alive, he would have helped you.
redge

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 126
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
Identify the Pub
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 18:13:29 »
A new game to while (or wile) away the hours  :)

Actually, it will be doing me a big favour if the pub can be identified, as I have no idea.

I've had access to a collection of postcards (about 75) produced by the brewer F.Leney & Son's, based in Wateringbury, Kent. The vast majority have the name & location printed on them, but some have no information at all. The pubs listed appear to cover the West of the county, from Sittingbourne / Isle of Sheppey across to the Sussex border.

The name Leney disappeared from pubs in 1960, having been bought out by Whitbreads a few years earlier.

I'll be publishing a book (or books) later in the year, so any positive information on the unknown pubs will be greatly appreciated :)

The first one:
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines