News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Battle Of Goudhurst 17  (Read 1592 times)

Offline RonS

• Appreciation 0
Re: Battle Of Goudhurst 17
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 15:00:25 »
Fascinating! I recall reading a book recently that seemed to take a revisionist approach to this incident, suggesting that the traditional accounts of the battle might not have been wholly accurate. It'll be interesting to see what this letter can add to the debate.

I wonder if they got the reward? Somehow, knowing the Treasury's normal parsimony, I suspect not.

Hi, I have recently discovered what I believe to be an original 18th Century letter from a participant of the Battle, sent to "The Right Honourable The lords Of His Majestys Treasury" petitioning them for the rewards for killing two of the smugglers in the battle. It gives names numbers, weapons used and a lot more information in the two page letter written on 18th century laid paper. I believe this could add to the already known facts about the events. I had attached a sample of the original letter.
I have transcribed the whole letter.

Offline Smudge

• Appreciation 0
Battle Of Goudhurst 17
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:14:56 »
Hi, I have recently discovered what I believe to be an original 18th Century letter from a participant of the Battle, sent to "The Right Honourable The lords Of His Majestys Treasury" petitioning them for the rewards for killing two of the smugglers in the battle. It gives names numbers, weapons used and a lot more information in the two page letter written on 18th century laid paper. I believe this could add to the already known facts about the events. I had attached a sample of the original letter.
I have transcribed the whole letter.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines