News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Baths and Public Toilets at Luton arches  (Read 15601 times)

medwayboy

Re: Baths and Public Toilets at Luton arches
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 13:20:23 »
Looking at the photo, the mens toilets were on the left and the ladies were on the right, I believe the baths were in the middle, my mum used them as we had no bath at home, there was a railed-in garden on the other side of the arches that faced uphill.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 21:31:53 »
I tried asking my wife about the baths on the Ladies side and she said her mum would never let her go in them, so no help there then.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 20:46:07 »
Any suggestions as to what the upper floor was used for?

Knowing the Victorian liking for high ceilings, maybe it's a louvre rather than an upper floor?

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 20:12:42 »
I can remember going every saturday with my cousin in the early 60s.we used to go in the same bath for the price of 1.  there was an old man with one hand who run it,he scared the life out of me, we used to wrap out toy boats in our towels in the hope he would not see them, there was a massive  copper water heater that the old man kept highly polished.you got half an hour for 6d, the water used to come up to our necks,we still went home with tide marks on our face.happy days
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 22:04:59 »
My uncle in his late 70s lived in Connought road off Luton rd ,he told me that as a child he was given a small sum of money to go to the Luton arches and have a bath in the communal baths there,I remember the toilets many years later but by then the baths had been long gone.
***I am still the child within***

pammy

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:51:34 »
I used these toilets when I lived on Luton road.  I always wanted to use the baths as well, alas we had a bath at home.

I'm not sure but I think the baths were men only.

oldsunset

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:08 »
For a while the old loos at Luton Arches were a gents barbers, I went in there with my grandad on a Saturday morning in the 60's, he always had a monthly " forp ney all off " .. hard to get a hair cut for 4d now.

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 16:31:12 »
Any suggestions as to what the upper floor was used for?

How about some kind of store room or a caretakers office?

Merv

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 15:50:44 »
The Baths must have been in use in the late 80's, early nineties.
I recall a Polish foreman I worked with used them.
He travelled site to site and stayed in his pull along Caravan.

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 21:31:24 »
What some younger people must bare in mind is that, a lot of houses (two up two down) had no bathrooms and the toilets were in the back yard Brrrrrrrrrhh, We've come a long way but not all bedrooms are en-suite, YET.
redge

Offline PaulG

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:55:00 »
Look at this link Its under Medway trams

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3230.0

All the best Paul

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:19:14 »
I can just about remember the bath house on the Chatham side of the arches as a child in the 60's. Though I cannot remember ever going inside, a freind of mine says it was all tiled inside.
The only detail I can really recall was the pitched roof had a rectangular glazed structure on top, presumably desigend to get light into the building. However in the shadow of the arches, it must have got very dark when the sun was in the wrong direction.
I believe that I saw a picture of the bath house a few years ago in the bar of the co-operative hall on Luton Road.

jaj

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 21:58:27 »
I seem to remember the public toilets were in the middle of the arches facing up the hill. And can certainly recall the public baths were in the middle of the arches on the other side facing towards the High Street.  When I say 'baths' I mean bath tub baths.  The sign outside used to say 1 shilling and for that you got a tub of hot water, soap, and a towel.  I'm not sure if women had a facility to use the baths though  :)

Does anyone remember or know about the public toilets and swimming baths at Luton
Arches?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:24:06 »
I can just remember as a boy the toilets in the middle of the road on the Chatham side of Luton Arches. The 'baths' referred to were slipper baths. A Victorian invention to enable the less well-off to enjoy a wash in a proper bath when poor homes didn't have them!

Public toilets were a manifestation of the Victorians desire for their localities to be clean, healthy and upstanding. I remember no less than three such conveniences in Brompton alone. A male only toilet inside the wall on Dock Road below Admiralty Terrace; a male/female one at the south end of Brompton High Street in the wall of the old Melville Barracks water reservoir; and a very decrepit and soon to go male only block beside the Garrison Gymnasium opposite Brompton Barracks.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Baths and Public Toilets at Luton arches
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 23:04:51 »
Does anyone remember or know about the public toilets and swimming baths at Luton Arches?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines