News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Oil 'QF' Bombing Decoy P1  (Read 3147 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lyn L

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1158
  • Appreciation 85
Re: Oil 'QF' Bombing Decoy P1
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:00:57 »
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Oil 'QF' Bombing Decoy P1
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 23:16:05 »
The site is now scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

For details and list entry description see http://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1425319
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1521
  • Appreciation 238
Oil 'QF' Bombing Decoy P1
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 00:35:06 »
A Second World War bombing decoy site at Allhallows. It was built by the Petroleum Board in 1941 as part of the 'P-series' of oil decoys to deflect enemy bombing from the oil refinery on the Isle of Grain. This was an oil 'QF' decoy, where oil was burned in specially-shaped pools and channels lined with brick or clay that when seen from the air replicated fuel storage tanks targeted by bombs. The decoy comprises two circular channels 17m and 23m in diameter, each surrounded by a narrow bunded enclosure. Each is linked to a single external sump by a narrow channel. A third bunded enclosure contains two crescent-shaped channels and a third amorphous pond, also linked to external sumps. The decoy was ignited electrically from a remote shelter or control building.

The earthwork and cropmark remains of the decoy can be seen at TQ 8570 7736 within Allhallows Marshes. The decoy structures comprise two circular oil channels linked to a rectangular sump positioned to the north, just outside the low bunded enclosure of each pool. To the south-west of the circular pools is a second enclosure containing two crescent shaped channels between 18m and 19m long and 5m wide, and a smaller irregular pool. These are linked to external sumps by narrow channels.
Wartime photos also show a number of small rectilinear structures on the edges of the decoy structures along with traces of the channels for the electric ignition control wires. Wartime photos show a single small building 75m to the north-east of the site at TQ 8582 7748 which may be associated with the decoy complex.

The remains of the control buildings are located 300m to WNW at TQ 8534 7746. RAF photos taken in 1946 show the control building covered with soil, but this has since been removed revealing a rectangular building with a blast wall protected entrance projecting NW. A second sub-divided building lies 40m to the NW of this, possibly an accommodation block.

The water-filled depressions of two Second World War bomb craters are still visible to the north-west and south-east of the decoy sites.

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1469960
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines