News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Graveney Marsh AT Blocks  (Read 2619 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Graveney Marsh AT Blocks
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 20:42:32 »

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 20:21:34 »
I have a plan of a decoy site on Graveney Marsh.  The control building was near a farm, I had a look for it but could not find it.  They used condoms to cover some of the electrical points and once a week one of the men cycled down to the local railway station to collect a new box of condoms.  The station staff wondered what was going on, all these men together.  Their purpose could not be reveiled due to security.  The plan has an area where coffee has been spilt on it, this is said to be the result of a bomb going off and knocking the coffee pot over.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 19:32:16 »
    There was a very elaborate dummy town set up on Graveny marshes ,WW2, with buildings, doors opening and shutting showing lights , simulated bomb strike explosions ,building fires etc.all controlled electrically from a control post.
   It was run and staffed by Royal navy chaps. They operated the systems  when enemy bombers went overhead in order to entice them into  think it was the  docks of Chatham or Sheerness  and  bomb the area.
    Somewhere on the webb is a very detailed account, written by a navy rating that served there. I read it a long time ago and have never been able to find it since !

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
Graveney Marsh AT Blocks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 19:08:20 »
Graveney Marshes AT Blocks.  TR 062 646.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines