News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Strangest Family  (Read 973 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
The Strangest Family
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 18:55:53 »
The private lives of George III and Queen Charlotte by Janice Hadlow

This outstanding book explores the lives of King George III and his beloved wife Queen Charlotte. It traces how the Hanover Dynasty came to occupy the British throne, when King George I became king following the death of the last of the Stuart Dynasty, Queen Anne. It explores how King George III inherited the British throne from his grandfather, King George II after his father, Frederick, Prince of Wales had died before he could become King himself. It explores the life of the young German princess Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenberg-Strelitz, how the young King effectively chose her from what amounted to a mail order catalogue of eligible German princesses.

Faithfully married for their entire adult lives, the young Charlotte was brought to the UK at the age of 17 and first met her intended husband on the day of their wedding. Despite this, they remained together until George's final illness and descent into madness from 1811 to his death in 1820. It describes the horrifying aspects of his madness and the effect that his first bout of it, from 1785 until 1788 had on his wife and family. It describes how George and Charlotte laid the foundations for the modern Royal Family, how they ensured the British monarchy survived global war, revolution, assassination attempts and how they set the standards by which the modern royals are judged.

The book explores the personalities of George, Charlotte, their 15 children and the various hangers-on, mistresses and lovers of their predecessors and successors. A bit of a weighty tome at 617 pages, but is nevertheless a fascinating, highly readable, sometimes funny, sometimes tragic piece of social history. Well worth a read.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines